Is the insanity over virus panic justified??
11 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Jan. 7, 2021, 3:03 a.m.

Why is most of the nation so worried about a virus that kills so few healthy people

And yet nobody seems to worry about the flue that can infect  anybody???

Why has this yrs flue some how disappeared from the records, just like magic

Is it because hospitals get a grant if the number of virus related deaths and or infections reach some artificial number

Comments
By mcfarm - Jan. 7, 2021, 6:43 a.m.
Like Reply

not nobody Wayne. Trump and few others have warned from the start that the cure cannot be worse than the desease and yet the bureaucracy goes right on running over once free Americans

By joj - Jan. 7, 2021, 7:18 a.m.
Like Reply

I agree with you to a point.  We have overreacted in my opinion.  But it would be a gross UNDER reaction to have treated this like the flu.  The seasonal flu kills 30-60 thousand Americans each year.  And what is our communal response?  We encourage people to get a flu shot.  That's it!  Nothing more.  This virus has killed 361,000 Americans (so far). And that is with extraordinary measures being adopted.  If we would have treated this like the seasonal flu, how many more deaths might there have been?  I also agree with you that the virus afflicts mainly the old and immune compromised.  But not 100%.  There are young adults dying and many more who live but don't fully recover.

In the beginning, we were completely in the dark about this virus and the overreaction was understandable.  As we have become more knowledgeable about it we've reduced some of the harsher measures.  I read John Barry's "The Great Influenza".  A fascinating read.  Death was all around.  Approximately 2 million US citizens died and our total population was much smaller in 1919.  

We live in the only country in the world (to my knowledge) that has politicized this.  Since when did someone's freedom grant them the right to hurt me.  I lay the responsibility for that politicization at Trump's feet.  And that at least partly explains our having among the worst results of any country in the world.  Trump would have won reelection with ease if he would have rallied everyone to the common cause.  But as Mattis said, he never saw a president make no attempt to unify America before Trump.

By TimNew - Jan. 7, 2021, 11:19 a.m.
Like Reply

You were doing great till this.

We live in the only country in the world (to my knowledge) that has politicized this.  Since when did someone's freedom grant them the right to hurt me.  I lay the responsibility for that politicization at Trump's feet.  And that at least partly explains our having among the worst results of any country in the world.  Trump would have won reelection with ease if he would have rallied everyone to the common cause.  But as Mattis said, he never saw a president make no attempt to unify America before Trump.

I agree freedom hits the wall where it impacts another's rights.

This has been politicized in many countries,  but not to the extent it has been here.  And IMO,  the main reason for that is it was a great tool to use against Trump..   That's what he meant when he talked about the dem hoax.  Many of his statements have been misquoted, taken out of context and there have been outright lies.  Trump could have been a calming agent,  but even when he tried that, he was attacked for "downplaying".  Dems wanted a panic and the media helped in every way they could.

Further,  if you measure per-captia deaths, we are far from the worst performing nation in the country.  But this is another area the media and dems have lied.   Saying a country with 330 million having 300k deaths is 3+ times worse than a nation of 40 million having 80k deaths is not merely misleading.

As far as the virus,  the only thing I am certain of is that the MSM coverage and the dems narrative will change dramitacally over the next year, regardless of numbers.

By joj - Jan. 7, 2021, 11:36 a.m.
Like Reply

"Further,  if you measure per-captia deaths, we are far from the worst performing nation"

Oh really?  11th from the worst out of 152 countries reporting data.  Is that "Far from the worst"?  I'd say that's pretty close to the worst.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

And never mind Trump being a "calming influence".  All he had to do was tell the truth.

See FDR and Winston Churchill.

By TimNew - Jan. 7, 2021, 12:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Your words "The worst of any country in the world" are simply untrue as your own data shows.  I imagine most in the country would be shocked to learn the UK is in worse shape and  We're fractions behind most of Europe and better than some.   Most of them share your alleged belief that we're are doing the worst of any nation in the world.

Why do you suppose that is?

As I said, the scripted message will change dramatically over the next year regardless of the numbers. I'm not too happy with Trump at this point,  but that, IMO, is a much bigger problem.

Edit Note:   Your actual words were "Among the worst .."    I apologize for the misquote.   But it does little to change my point.

By wglassfo - Jan. 7, 2021, 1:52 p.m.
Like Reply

Canada has amongst the worst record of getting vaccinations available to people willing to be vaccinated

We aren't doing a very good job although perhaps in a different way then mentioned above

By joj - Jan. 7, 2021, 2:30 p.m.
Like Reply

Tim, my words among the worst.

I think 11th worst out of 150+  warrants the above description.

By TimNew - Jan. 7, 2021, 2:44 p.m.
Like Reply

Right.  Of those 150+, how many have a population over 10 million?     Of the ones over 10 million,  how do they compare? 

The point is,   among countries with large populations (10's of millions) and lots of international travel,  there are inches seperating us from them.   Some worse,  some better. And we've traded places with them over the year. And we will going forward. 

Perhaps not you,  but in a year, I am betting an awful lot of people's perception of the same numbers will be quite different.   

And trust me,  Uncle Joe does not have a magic wand.   The vaccine will help. but we won't eliminate Covid anymore than we've eliminated the flu or the common cold.   Covid is now a reality and it's not going to change all that much.  Our perceptions will.

By metmike - Jan. 7, 2021, 4:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Based on so many wrong things that we've been told by the mainstream media,  medical and science advisers, there's no way things could have ever gone much better than they did in this country.

Each state and community made their own decisions too and they didn't make much difference in many cases.

They messed us up by telling us these counterproductive things:

1. Protesting is good...........no evidence that it spreads COVID(unless its a Trump rally) 

2. Cloth masks protect you.......save the N95 masks for health care workers

3. The vaccine is dangerous because Trump is pushing it out before its ready

4. This one wasn't as important, but it was another example of disinformation and censorship of legit information for political agenda..........hydroxycloriquinn is a dangerous drug that has been proven ineffective in treating COVID.

Huge problem with the vaccine...refusing to take it!            

12 responses |             

Started by metmike - Jan. 2, 2021, 12:05 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/63634/

Covering up massive COVID being spread from protests-8/8 update below            

29 responses |                

Started by metmike - July 30, 2020, 7:28 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/57070/

Get N95 masks ASAP! The truth on masks           

18 responses |   

Started by metmike - Dec. 21, 2020, 7:27 p.m.       

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/63115/

84% fewer hospitalizations for patients treated with hydroxychloroquine            

31 responses |             

Started by metmike - Dec. 18, 2020, 12:35 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/62920/

By metmike - Jan. 7, 2021, 4:13 p.m.
Like Reply

They did  tell us to wash our hands and stay away from crowds which was wonderful advice. 

By 12345 - Jan. 7, 2021, 9:37 p.m.
Like Reply

I LIVE IN THE MIDWEST.  MANY OF US REFUSE TO WEAR MASKS. I KNOW OF ZERO DEATHS OR CONTRACTED CHINESE CRUD CASES AMONG THAT GROUP.  I AM ONE OF THOSE THAT REFUSE TO WEAR A MASK.

CHINESE CRUD