Batteries for EV
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Jan. 28, 2021, 2:54 p.m.

Has anybody asked the question of where the world will source the required rare earth materials to make enough batteries to  power all the anticipated EV coming our way

I find out that batteries use a huge amount of cobalt

Cobalt is not an infinite resource

It is true batteries can be re-cycled for the cobalt and other materials but I also think this process is very expensive

So: 1st of all we need lots of cobalt which may be a limiting factor and then the cost to re-cycle will increase the cost of batteries

I can see EV in the future but I think the benefits of EV are very much over hyped. Especially the electric power needs for re-charging batteries. Electric power plants are often very dirty sources of  electricity. Nuclear plants are getting to end of life and the Green people don't want new nuclear any way

Would you climb in an EV air plane??? for long distance travel over the pond, or even a small charter for short trips???. That's why I feel a bit safer when I see two or more engines on my air plane before boarding although I have no choice, unless I want to do some enquiries, before booking a flight.

I doubt I will be forced into buying EV due to the many problems of going all EV

Comments
By metmike - Jan. 28, 2021, 4:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne!

It will be interesting to see what sort of innovations hit the market in the next few years.

By GunterK - Jan. 28, 2021, 9:01 p.m.
Like Reply

If we really are able to replace our gas-guzzlers with something else, it won't be EVs. It could be NVs (nuclear powered vehicles), or UVs (vehicles powered by Unobtainium), or something else, but not EVs.

An EV-world would work in Switzerland, where all electricity comes from hydro power. In California, it's unthinkable.

California does not have enough electricity to supply all it's households with electricity on a hot summer-day. We have to deal with "rolling blackouts" during summer. A small portion of California's electricity comes from the Hoover Dam, the rest comes from powerplants that burn fossil fuels. 

Californians own about 15 mill cars.... and all these cars being EVs?? Even if they invent a new kind of battery, these cars still have to be plugged into an electricity outlet to be charged every night.  I cannot imagine how this would work