dealing with immigrant kids at the border
8 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Feb. 4, 2021, 9:40 p.m.

You may have read that illegal immigration has increased considerably during the last few weeks. As always, among those arrested, the Border Patrol finds "unaccompanied minors"

You may also remember the disturbing headlines "kids in cages" during the Trump administration..We saw pictures of children sleeping on skinny mattresses on the floor, behind wire cages, as if they were prisoners. (well.. technically speaking, they were)

You may also remember that we later learned that these pictures were actually taken in 2015 (before Trump).

Pres Biden now wants to respond to the increase in illegal immigration, by re-opening these facilities for "unaccompanied minors"

The headlines have changed, though.... it's no longer "Kids in cages".... now its called "overflow facilities". 

Much nicer, don't you think so?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/02/politics/migrant-children-facility-immigration/index.html

Comments
By joj - Feb. 4, 2021, 10:21 p.m.
Like Reply

From your link:

"A White House spokesperson said that it's not this administration's policy to expel children apprehended at the border, a departure from the Trump administration's posture. "The Border Patrol will continue to transfer unaccompanied children to the HHS Office of Refugee Resettlement so they may be properly cared for in appropriate shelters, consistent with their best interest," the spokesperson said.

By TimNew - Feb. 5, 2021, 3:14 a.m.
Like Reply

So, JOJ,  you feel locking them in cages is the best way to go now.

By metmike - Feb. 5, 2021, 7:23 a.m.
Like Reply

it depends on who is the president.

obama/biden=appropriate care

trump=cages

it would be like applying this to a 3 inch rain on a cnn cornfield during july

obama/biden=yield boosting beneficial rain

trump=flash flood because he withdrew from the climate accord

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/65232/#65258

By joj - Feb. 5, 2021, 8:34 a.m.
Like Reply

Shame on all of you.

Trump's actions were a deliberate policy.  Separate families to discourage illegal immigration.  (including babies and toddlers). It may have even been effective but hundreds of these families have yet to be reunited.  This is Biden attempting to deal with teens coming on their own.  HUGE difference.

Might be time for me to leave again.  I'd stay if I thought I could do some good but it looks hopeless.  And now for the moderator to lecture me in patronizing tones one last time.  Go for it MM!!

By mcfarm - Feb. 5, 2021, 8:37 a.m.
Like Reply

I'll give you credit JOJ, no matter how wrong you are at various times you have that Obama arrogance down to a T

By TimNew - Feb. 5, 2021, 9:09 a.m.
Like Reply

JOJ,  this is an Obama era policy that continued into the Trump years as was proven by AOC herself with phots from 2015, which she tried to portray as current.  ANd now that Biden has vowed to continue, the outrage is gone with the wind.

The one thing I've always wondered about these seperated children that have not been reunited with their parents....   If I knew where my child was,  they would not have to come find me.  COuld it be that these kids were not brought by the parents?  Like maybe they were some sort of prop to help get over the border?

By TimNew - Feb. 5, 2021, 9:36 a.m.
Like Reply

BTW,  your presence here does good whether you know it or not.  You force me to examine my positions and either reinforce of modify them.   If your goal is to turn me into a liberal,  then you are doomed to fail  :-)

By metmike - Feb. 5, 2021, 12:29 p.m.
Like Reply

As always joj, it’s because you have a view that is different than others that I especially love your posts.

You will note that I have expressed that more to you than anybody......by a wide margin and I’m not shy about repeating myself, which I’m doing again here.

Maybe I spoiled you the past 3 months by personally agreeing with almost all of your points (-: especially related to the fake stolen election narrative.

During that period, you have made a ton of very positive posts that made our forum much better.

Today is my 65th birthday, this would be a bad present for metmike. Maybe you are just having a bad day.

You should note, that often, in the past, it was you against almost everyone else but recently, you’ve had met mike, wxfollower and mcfarmer on your side .....if you want to see it that way.....and with me hogging much of that time, this has presented a more balanced view.

obviously we disagree with how the MSM reported on Trump in this thread and will never agree on everything

I hope my lecture didnt disappoint you. It might have been longer.....but I’m a one finger typer for awhile after having surgery to repair my ruptured left biceps, dIstal  tendon yesterday.