And the Award for Bias and Misinformation goes to...
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - March 8, 2021, 8:30 a.m.

When the subject of “conspiracy theory” comes up, most people first think of infowars.com, founded by Alex Jones.

Alex Jones rose to infamy, when he called the Sandy Hook School shooting a staged, fake event.

He came up with another wild conspiracy theory in 2010. He had obtained “secret” documents that detailed “operation Lockstep”. This document spoke of a pandemic that would occur in the near future, which allowed the “elite” to control the People, lock them up, get them scared, and introduce a “biometric ID” which would give the "elite" even more control of the masses.

For some reason, Pres Biden recently mentioned “Lockstep”. Don’t know if he knows much about the document mentioned by Jones.

And most recently, Alex Jones was an outspoken proponent of the "stolen election" movement

Anyway, most people laugh when infowars is mentioned.

Infowars has a daily show, presented by Alex Jones or one of his partners. I have never watched this show (it’s too time consuming for me), but I often read the many other short articles on his website. They give me a glimpse into what goes on in other countries, or even here in the US… issues not mentioned by the MSM.

Just for kicks, a few days ago, I scanned through all the titles on his site and categorized them.

Group 1: conspiracy theories (where entities conspire to influence or do harm)

Group 2: opinions, given by knowledgeable persons on subjects, such as politics, medicine, science, etc (lacking the element “conspiracy”)

Group 3: factual news, reports of real events, or statements made by "people in the news" (you would call it “journalism”)

Group 4: miscellaneous items that don’t fit groups 1-3

Here are the results of what I found:

Conspiracy theories: 1

Opinions: 9

Factual news: 83

Miscellaneous: 5

It seems to me, the title “conspiracy theory site” is a bit exaggerated. Unfortunately, in today’s environment of almost total news control, a good way to keep the People from reading sites that go against government/MSM propaganda, is to belittle and ridicule opposing voices.

They even have sites that rank internet sources. For example, take a look at the link below....

They call infowars a “tin-foil hat” site (their most extreme ranking)

Considering the fact that my quick study above found mostly old-fashioned journalism on infowars.com (maybe biased, but factual), I must conclude that the Award for Bias and Misinformation goes to mediabiasfactcheck.com

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/infowars-alex-jones/

Comments
By metmike - March 8, 2021, 10:57 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Gunter,

Gives me another opportunity to apply my "just the facts/truth" posted by the moderator at MarketForum policy!

From Forbes:

Alex Jones' Top 10 Health Claims And Why They Are Wrong

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2018/08/16/alex-jones-top-10-health-claims-and-why-they-are-wrong/?sh=7ba367193e7f

From Rolling Stone:

Alex Jones’ Mis-Infowars: 7 Bat-Sh*t Conspiracy Theories

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-lists/alex-jones-mis-infowars-7-bat-sht-conspiracy-theories-195468/

Alex Jones: Five Things to Know

https://www.adl.org/resources/backgrounders/alex-jones-five-things-to-know?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIts7ChYWh7wIViZWzCh2SwgNhEAMYASAAEgIsRfD_BwE

This is the source of the last link:

Anti-Defamation League    

https://www.adl.org/who-we-are

"ADL is a leading anti-hate organization. Founded in 1913 in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry, its timeless mission is to stop the defamation of the Jewish people, and to secure justice and fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of hate with the same vigor and passion. ADL is a global leader in exposing extremism and delivering anti-bias education, and is a leading organization in training law enforcement. ADL is the first call when acts of antisemitism occur. ADL’s ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers from bias, discrimination or hate."

By GunterK - March 8, 2021, 11:58 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi metmike

regardless what they say about Alex Jones, my post only wanted to point out that infowars presents a lot of actual events and happenings... it can be a good place to find information that our Ministry of Propaganda ignores, or simply does ot want us to know about

Between the tin-foil hats on the right, and the tin-foil hats on the left, somewhere in between is a good place to be.

By metmike - March 9, 2021, 2:12 a.m.
Like Reply

Amen to that my good friend!

One of the things I like most about you Gunter is that you don’t take things overly personal or get hateful when there is a disagreement about this or other issues.

And every once in awhile Alex Jones does get a scoop on something that all others have censored.

Muellers arrest of roger stone using half an army, inviting CNN to tape it then lying by CNN that absurdly stated that their genius reporter instinct skills caused them to figure it out.....but even more absurdly, would have blatantly violated FBI protocol to allow CNN to accompany the FBI on the bust.....after clearing all other citizens off the street for a block in either direction was totally accepted by the entire MSM....despite it being a rediculous explanation and pathetic abuse of power by mueller that included his team breaking the law in inviting CNN To join them.

I guess because jones and stone are friends, Jones ended up with the stone videos of the fbi out front discussing with cnn where the best places would be for them to get the best shots of them arresting stone.

Jones had the scoop on that one because somebody posted the video here.