Biden plan needs more funding for affordable housing
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - April 4, 2021, 12:44 p.m.

Democrat: Biden infrastructure plan needs more funding for affordable housing

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/546375-democratic-rep-criticizes-biden-infrastructure-plan-for-not-enough?utm_source=thehill&utm_medium=widgets&utm_campaign=es_recommended_content

Democratic Rep. Ritchie Torres (N.Y.) on Sunday criticized President Biden’s infrastructure proposal, saying it does not provide enough funding for affordable housing.

When pressed by host Margaret Brennan on CBS’s “Face the Nation” about his previous comments that The American Jobs Plan was not nearly big enough, Torres, who represents the Bronx, pointed to funding for affordable housing.

“I'm a product of public housing, and so I'm on a mission to ensure that public housing gets its fair share of The American Jobs Plan,” Torres said.

“The plan only proposes $40 billion; public housing in New York City alone has a $40 billion capital need, so we need at least $70 billion to fully address the humanitarian crisis in public housing,” Torres continued.

Torres went on to say that in New York City public housing has been “savagely starved of federal funding."

He did, however, call Biden's proposal a "historic investment in our country," adding that it would "fundamentally change the trajectory of our country, not only here at home but abroad."

Torres during the appearance on CBS also discussed the low COVID-29 vaccination rates in his district, explaining that the greatest barrier among his constituents is the digital divide.

“The racial disparities in vaccination rates for me is more consequence of vaccine access than vaccine hesitancy,” Torres said.

“One of the greatest barriers to vaccine access is the digital divide, those in the Bronx who have no access to the internet have much less access to information about vaccination sites and have no real ability to participate in online registration systems,” he added.

Comments
By bear - April 5, 2021, 2:31 p.m.
Like Reply

of course a person in the bronx wants people from iowa to pay for housing for folks in the bronx.  of course i would have some strong choice words for that. 

i don't think that our folks here in tucson should pay for housing in the bronx.  so yes, i believe this should be a STATE issue.  let the people in new york decide if they want to pay taxes for housing in the bronx.  and folks in casa grande can pay for things in arizona.  

By bear - April 5, 2021, 2:33 p.m.
Like Reply

my neighbor here in n.w tucson makes much smarter decisions about what to do with his own money.  

By metmike - April 5, 2021, 5:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks bear,

Good points.

By TimNew - April 6, 2021, 5:06 a.m.
Like Reply

Bear, It's called federalism and is one of the roots of the founding of this nation.

Look at the 10th amendment that says, in effect,  all duties not enumerated in this document (the constitution) shall be relegated to the states or the individuals.

Now, look for the part that says the federal government should provide affordable housing.

By metmike - April 6, 2021, 11:10 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for the legal interpretation Tim.