Does Biden think he can bully Russia
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - April 18, 2021, 9:24 a.m.

It looks from my seat in the peanut gallery that Bidden is doing all he can to encourage Ukraine to seize the Crimea. Shipments of arms to Ukraine and public statements by Ukraine to seize Crimea plus encouragement from Biden, looks to this person who doesn't know everything Ukraine but does think some thing is happening. I know, I know I don't know everything

Russia for their part is engaging in a huge show of military strength in Crimea, or at least I think the pictures show military stuff, even if I don't really know.

Given what we see, most in the USA could not care less what advice Biden is getting from his experts, some of which is in the public domain, seems to heavily favour engagement with Russia

Does anybody in the USA care about what happens between the Ukraine and Russia, instead focusing on  the stk market, price of houses, wish I had bought bit coin on the cheap and unemployment

Almost forgot BLM has their agenda and the woke people have some thing going, silicon folks are  determined we won't read about anything they haven't censored. What did I forget???

What is that story about Nero fiddles while Rome fell???

Comments
By WxFollower - April 18, 2021, 9:50 a.m.
Like Reply

Unlike Trump, who acted like Putin’s lapdog, Biden is demonstrating strength by not being afraid to confront Russia. Whatever happened to the GOP wanting to show strength? Remember all of those complaints against Obama from the GOP that he made the US look weak vs other countries? This is another silly political double standard from the GOP.

By TimNew - April 18, 2021, 12:09 p.m.
Like Reply

WX,  I really wish you'd stop with these manufactured false narratives.  Even NPR knew better. No wonder you have such a dismal view of Trump..  But it appears at least half your info is bogus.

Is Trump The Toughest Ever On Russia? : NPR

"There's never been a president as tough on Russia as I have been," Trump told reporters on Wednesday.

That might sound like hyperbole, but in this case, there's actually some basis for the president's boast.

"When you actually look at the substance of what this administration has done, not the rhetoric but the substance, this administration has been much tougher on Russia than any in the post-Cold War era," said Daniel Vajdich, senior fellow at the Atlantic Council."

By wglassfo - April 18, 2021, 12:19 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree WX

You have posted some valid things about the GOP, that many would agree with, although Trump and lap dog in the same sentence may be open for debate

However, strength comes in many forms and methods. Biden insulting Putin on the public stage was not wise IMHO. Maybe his meds got mixed up or who knows but that was a major foo foo

Now IMHO Putin has to show strength or lose face to the americans. You can bet Putin values the Crimea very highly. I don't think Biden and his war mongering advisors are wise to put on a show of strength in that particular arena. If Ukraine and Russia do come to blows with military force, is the Crimea very important to the USA. Biden might get sucked into a war he doesn't need, A war Putin will have to win, and will win.

This hot spot could lead to unintended consequences and all for the sake of looking strong. I have a rooster that wants to strut around and look strong but anybody can beat the living heck out of him.

There is no way Biden can fight a war in Ukraine and win, no more than that rooster can win a battle. Biden should not encourage Ukraine. Biden would be better advised to turn the temp down, not turn it up.

This is the wrong place, the wrong reason and the wrong person to butt heads with, over a piece of land Putin values very highly.

The truth as I see it, Biden was talking strong and scoring points to his home crowd. Putin decided he wasn't going to put up with Biden giving him a face slapping. 

Putin chose the battle field, that favors him tremendously, the time and is bringing huge amounts of military strength. So now Putin will wait and see if Biden lives up to his strong man strut.   We shall see what Biden is made of, if the brass knuckles come out.

By mcfarm - April 18, 2021, 12:21 p.m.
Like Reply

it is strange  Tim that Wx's hatred of Trump has him totally rejecting every good thing Trump did for this country, its people and esp its economy. Seems most people would care about all time employment highs, high time black employment, all time Mexican employment, all time women employment. Bringing our troops home, protecting our boarders, all the rest....unless of course they never even cared in the first place about putting country first.

By WxFollower - April 18, 2021, 1:50 p.m.
Like Reply

Did not many cons/GOPers criticize Obama for making the US look weak vs other countries? Do cons have amnesia? I thought Obama did that to sone extent and I didn’t like it. Then again, I never voted for Obama and am proud to say so.

By metmike - April 18, 2021, 2:25 p.m.
Like Reply

Funny thing for me Larry.

Before becoming moderator, I never paid much attention to politics.

I spend most of my time reading and studying science.

I actually voted for Obama in 2008 but not 2012 but for 4 reasons.

1. He was going to get us out of the Middle East, his opponent was clear that we would stay until the job was done................in other words..........forever.

2. He was likeable and intelligent.

3. He was black. My son in laws(black) family cried tears of joy when he was elected(I was so happy to see them so happy) and i was thinking how awesome that would be.........(very wrongly) that it would help put the final nails in the racism coffin in the US. ....just the opposite happened.

4. I was NEVER McCain.

By GunterK - April 18, 2021, 2:34 p.m.
Like Reply

To understand what’s going on, we have to take a look at history.

WW2 made the USA the #1 military power in the world… followed by the Soviet Union as a very close second. The Soviet Union quickly became the new enemy, resulting in the “Cold War”.

Having a powerful enemy is the life-blood for the military industrial complex, as well as the intelligence agencies. They need an enemy to justify their existence.

Eventually, the Soviet Union fell apart and dissolved into Russia and various other countries. The Cold War was over.

However, this didn’t stop the MIC and the CIA to continue proclaiming Russia to be the “enemy”, in order to demand trillions of dollars for new military weapons and covert operations around the globe.

IMHO, after the end of the Cold War, Russia was no longer a threatening enemy, but simply a competitor in the global market.

Not only that… but both Russia and the US have a common enemy…. Radical Islam (the US had its 9/11, and so did Russia)

Yet, the official propaganda, pushed by the Deep State (MIC plus Intelligence) has continuously portrayed Russia as the enemy.

Quite obviously, the goal has always been to engage Russia in military conflict. As you may remember, Hillary even spoke of “preemptive nuclear” strikes. Syria would have been the initial place of confrontation

And then came Trump! He messed it all up! No wonder, there was such an urgency to get him out of the WH, before he had even moved in.

As it turned out, he became a quite “peaceful” president. Some people even want to give him the Nobel Peace Price.

IMHO, trying to have a better relation with Russia was a smart move. We could have shared intelligence about Radical Islam, and engaged in mutually beneficial trade. Of course, the Deep State and the MSM (its propaganda mouth) described his efforts as being a “lap dog”

Now, it’s Biden’s America….and he and his handlers are trying hard to start another Cold War, if not worse.

First he insults Putin (Trump couldn’t have done any worse), then he demands from Putin to stop his advances (which puts Putin into a spot where he cannot stop, or he would lose “face”)

Then he sends two destroyers into the Black Sea, which IMHO would have been a suicide mission, and now he made them turn around and withdraw.That’ll show Putin who’s boss!!! (sarcasm intended)

Russia will never give up the Crimea. The Crimea and the Ukraine were populated by Russians more than 1000 years ago. A few hundred years ago, the Ottoman Turks invaded the Ukraine, but the Russians reclaimed this land during the Russia/Ottoman Turk war.

Most importantly, in the Crimea, Russia has it’s only Western, warm-water sea port…. and the population of the Crimea is mostly Russian, not Ukrainian.. they wanted to be joined with Russia.

Of course, what do I know??? Pres. Biden and Hunter know this region a whole lot better than I.

By TimNew - April 18, 2021, 6:41 p.m.
Like Reply

Did not many cons/GOPers criticize Obama for making the US look weak vs other countries? Do cons have amnesia? I thought Obama did that to sone extent and I didn’t like it. Then again, I never voted for Obama and am proud to say so.

Did you not read the article I linked?  Oh wait.  I get it.  NPR is one of those sources you ignore...   Right?

By WxFollower - April 18, 2021, 8:35 p.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

I apologize as I didn't read your NPR link. But I read it just now. I first checked who wrote it. He's not a con or Republican sympathizer based on past articles. Therefore, I think it is a fair source to consider. This to me was the key, which you also quoted:

"When you actually look at the substance of what this administration has done, not the rhetoric but the substance, this administration has been much tougher on Russia than any in the post-Cold War era," said Daniel Vajdich, senior fellow at the Atlantic Council."

----------------------- 

I was referring to what I feel was lapdog-like rhetoric. However, what this person is saying about the substance being much tougher than the rhetoric needs to be considered. Based on this, I need to rethink this.

But, it still doesn't make much sense to me that cons heavily criticized Obama for being weak vs other countries but are now criticizing Biden for being too tough. It is the typical political double standard, a pet peeve of mine.