moderate radicalism have to just laugh
18 responses | 0 likes
Started by mcfarm - April 29, 2021, 11:07 a.m.

so was having a discussion on moderates below and lo and behold this come out after the Biden speech last nite. Cnn in describing the Biden mess of proposals actually used the term "moderate radicalism" ...Now I just want to set back and listen to so called moderates turn and twist and rant and whine their way into describing this new term, how in the hell these two words could ever be used together, and justify radicals stealing your thunder all the while. You could use the boarder mess, the foreign policy mess, the climate mess, the police mess, the race mess, the tax mess, all the messes....are they going to disappear with "moderate radicalism" .....what a joke

Comments
By metmike - April 29, 2021, 1:02 p.m.
Like Reply

What about radicals from the other side mcfarm?

By TimNew - April 29, 2021, 1:11 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't think he was choosing a side.   I think, and agree, he meant the phrase "moderate radicalism' is an oxymoron wether it be right wing moderate radicalism or left wing moderate radicalism.. 

Kinda like "He was moderately murdered".  It either is or it isn't.   There really aren't degrees. 

Tho I suppose you could say "Extreme Radicalism" as opposed to Radicalism.

On oxymoron walks into a bar.    The silence was deafening.

By metmike - April 29, 2021, 2:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for the interpretation Tim!

By mcfarm - April 29, 2021, 6:13 p.m.
Like Reply

don't see that makes much of a difference MM. What's it matter when one side or the other uses unscrupulous measures to hide what they are about and what they are trying to accomplice. It's wrong, its underhanded, and yet this one came directly from cnn, the very organization that tried for years with the aid of the justice dept the entire Obama organization including our current Pres to unlawfully remove another Pres. Yes moderate radicalism at its best.

By metmike - April 29, 2021, 7:42 p.m.
Like Reply

"don't see that makes much of a difference MM. What's it matter when one side or the other uses unscrupulous measures to hide what they are about and what they are trying to accomplice"

Sure it makes a difference mcfarm, if 100% of your examples are of only 1 side, the left side doing it.

By NEVER showing or acknowledging the right side doing it, you are stating that they don't. 

If that's not the case, then please give us a few examples of the right side doing it, which you may have mentioned in the last year here?

I know you can give 2 dozen from the left side. 

If you want to properly assess an entities flawed political descriptions about radicalism based on their bias, you first have to understand what your own political bias is. 

I am perfectly good with you giving all your sincere opinions, including the opinion on this but you have to be willing to take some heat about your own political bias if you want to take on a position like this. 

This isn't an echo chamber.

By metmike - April 29, 2021, 7:54 p.m.
Like Reply

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/moderate-radical-9780198804802?cc=us&lang=en&

Cover for  Moderate Radical

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_centrism

Radical centrism, also called alt-centrism, the radical center, the radical centre or the radical middle, is a concept that arose in Western nations in the late 20th century. At first, it was defined in a variety of ways, but at the beginning of the 21st century a number of political science texts gave it a more developed cast.[1][2]

The radical in the term refers to a willingness on the part of most radical centrists to call for fundamental reform of institutions.[3] The centrism refers to a belief that genuine solutions require realism and pragmatism, not just idealism and emotion.[4] One radical centrist text defines radical centrism as "idealism without illusions",[5] a phrase originally from John F. Kennedy.[6]

Radical centrists borrow ideas from the left and the right, often melding them together.[1] Most support market-based solutions to social problems, with strong governmental oversight in the public interest.[7] There is support for increased global engagement and the growth of an empowered middle class in developing countries.[8] Many radical centrists work within the major political parties, but they also support independent or third-party initiatives and candidacies.[9]

By metmike - April 29, 2021, 7:59 p.m.
Like Reply

Why I Am a Radical Moderate

https://www.tuneintoleadership.com/blog/why-i-am-a-radical-moderate

The Radical Moderate

July 10, 2012

https://talkbusiness.net/2012/07/the-radical-moderate/

Former Democratic Secretary of State candidate Pat O'Brien this week released an e-book called “The Radical Moderate”. The book covers O'Brien's personal views of politics and public policy.

By metmike - April 29, 2021, 8:06 p.m.
Like Reply

The point, in case you missed it is that you guys got critical/judgmental about a legit expression used by a leftist media side, CNN because your righty sites told you to be that way.

You weren't actually watching CNN, when they said it. You only heard about it from FOX or another site and believed what they told   you to think.

I completely understood the meaning that CNN was trying to convey with this expression......because I was listening.

Please don't go after them on dumb stuff like this or I might call you out.............and I don't even like CNN!

This will happen to you  from time to time if you keep letting the far right sites tell you what to think.

By mcfarm - April 29, 2021, 9:40 p.m.
Like Reply

I truly do not where all this indignant attitude of yours lately has sprung from. For your information I have been quite busy with spring planting and have  not watched fox over 2 weeks. This attitude has grown quite tiresome. 

For you too just assume the absolute worst in a guy that has been here years is also really a surprise. This new bent of white privilege etc. 

Again for your in formation you are not the only one with black family members. My youngest is a great basketball coach/teacher and has a black wife with and has adopted her fatherless son. We all have stories and for you to assume some of the things you have lately about me is a shock. And it says all I need to know.

By metmike - April 29, 2021, 10:42 p.m.
Like Reply

What the heck does any of that have to do with this discussion mcfarm?

We are discussing the term moderate radicalism that you guys were bashing because of what you read on far right sites that were bashing CNN and Biden over it.

You guys are acting exactly like the left did when Trump was in office and I called them out on doing it because of TDS. You guys have BDS.

I am perfectly ok with it and have made many posts that criticize Biden too but always with facts/reasons that can be shown. 

I don't require that you have facts either.............opinions with no facts are just fine here too.

However, when you don't have the facts and I do, please don't feel sorry for yourself and call me names.

I did the same thing  when I called out the Trump bashers. That was ok too because that's who they were........and  I called them out for bashing when their points were frivolous or wrong or for the sake of bashing(that you loved me doing then). When you guys do the same thing, I will call you out for it.

You are doing exactly what they did too with your response...........spinning it as me being indignant and you being attacked unfairly as if you are a victim because I challenged you on this issue. This is what everybody on the left claimed I was doing when Trump was president.

Instead of playing the victim mcfarm, either defend your position with some solid facts or be honest about the situation. 

I know that you strongly prefer the news sources that tell you what you like to hear, like many people today but I just tell the truth here.

If you don't believe that, show me please. If your point is legit, I will quickly acknowledg it.

I like you mcfarm and am doing you a big favor by telling you the truth, as a friend in a way that you will never get anywhere else. 

By TimNew - April 29, 2021, 11:18 p.m.
Like Reply

There are lots of "philosophies" that have "popped up" in the late 20th century.  You are more than welcome to call them legitimate if you like,   but a phrase like "Moderate Radical" is  perposterous on it's face.  Of course,  if you feel that numbers give a belief legitimacy, you'll have to stop debating the Climate Crisis.   Lot's of people believe in that late 20th century philosophy as well.

By metmike - April 30, 2021, 1:27 a.m.
Like Reply

"but a phrase like "Moderate Radical" is  perposterous on it's face.  Of course,  if you feel that numbers give a belief legitimacy, you'll have to stop debating the Climate Crisis.   Lot's of people believe in that late 20th century philosophy as well."

Tim. Moderate radicalism is a defined subjective political term meant to express how some people feel/act based on a philosophy that incorporates elements that are represented by both words. 

Climate and Science are based on well defined physical laws that can be proven with various metrics using measurements and math and things like that. There is no philosophy to the ideal gas law or photosynthesis or gravity. 

One side has completely  turned it into political science by twisting the interpretations, misleading with the current conditions and creating computer simulations, using subjective, hand picked  mathematical equations that will yield scary global model outcomes going out 100 years....to get people to agree to follow the agenda needed to "save the planet"

I would bet my house that if FOX had used the term and CNN was making fun of it, the views here would be the exact opposite. 

By TimNew - April 30, 2021, 2:55 a.m.
Like Reply

No.  "Moderate Radicalism" is a form of new speak that is used to present radical ideas as moderate.   "He's radical,   but he's a moderate radical".    Sounds like a great guy.  We all like stuff in moderation.

But what does Merriam-Webster say?

Synonyms of radical include...  

for the adjective.   Extreme, fanatic, and rabid, among others

For the noun. crazy, extremist, revolutionary.

Antonyms include Middle of the road and Moderate.

Radical | Definition of Radical by Merriam-Webster

So you can accept "moderate radicalism" if you like,   but it is definitely and literally an oxymoron,  a contradiction in terms, words that really can't be used in the same sentence.   On the plus side,  it will make a radical agenda that will lessen everyones quality of life sound much more palatable.

By metmike - April 30, 2021, 10:18 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much Tim!

I understand your strong objections to use of the term/expression.

Shows where we are as a country............when we can't even agree on the language to express what our ideologies are, let alone agree on what they should be.

By TimNew - April 30, 2021, 10:31 a.m.
Like Reply

Well,  being a liberal conservative, I suppose I should be more tolerant.

By metmike - April 30, 2021, 11:02 a.m.
Like Reply

(-:

Funny you should use that term Tim because that's how I see myself overall!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_conservatism

Liberal conservatism is a political ideology combining conservative policies with liberal stances, especially on economic issues but also on social matters,[1] representing a brand of political conservatism strongly influenced by liberalism.

By TimNew - April 30, 2021, 12:11 p.m.
Like Reply

I maintain you can't be a "liberal conservative" any more than you can be a moderate radical.

You can be conservative on social issues and conservative on fiscal issues, which sums me up and lines me up with libertarian thinking.    But I, nor anyone can be a liberal conservative on fiscal issues.  Such a person may be called a moderate.  And that's why we have words other than liberal and conservative.

Edit: Dang,   trying to make a good point while on my way out the door. 

Above should read "You can be liberal on social issues and conservative on fiscal issues"

By metmike - May 1, 2021, 6:16 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Tim!