Quote of the day-May/June/July 2021
41 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - May 3, 2021, 7:21 p.m.
Comments
By metmike - May 3, 2021, 7:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Let's start out with one of my favorites:

20 Of The Most Powerful Quotes by The Exceptional Martin Luther King, Jr

By metmike - May 5, 2021, 1:15 a.m.
Like Reply

The real problem is over consumption of fancy "stuff" that we really don't need. metmike

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/68901/

By metmike - May 6, 2021, 2:34 a.m.
Like Reply

Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise. ~ Sigmund Freud

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud

By metmike - May 7, 2021, 12:41 a.m.
Like Reply

“Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” – Robert A. Heinlein

Love encompasses a range of strong and positive emotional and mental states, from the most sublime virtue or good habit, the deepest interpersonal affection, to the simplest pleasure.[1][2] An example of this range of meanings is that the love of a mother differs from the love of a spouse, which differs from the love of food. Most commonly, love refers to a feeling of strong attraction and emotional attachment.[3]

Love is considered to be both positive and negative, with its virtue representing human kindness, compassion, and affection, as "the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another" and its vice representing human moral flaw, akin to vanity, selfishness, amour-propre, and egotism, as potentially leading people into a type of mania, obsessiveness or codependency.[4][5] It may also describe compassionate and affectionate actions towards other humans, one's self or animals.[6] In its various forms, love acts as a major facilitator of interpersonal relationships and, owing to its central psychological importance, is one of the most common themes in the creative arts.[7] Love has been postulated to be a function that keeps human beings together against menaces and to facilitate the continuation of the species.[8]

Ancient Greek philosophers identified six forms of love: essentially, familial love (in Greek, Storge), friendly love or platonic love (Philia), romantic love (Eros), self-love (Philautia), guest love (Xenia) and divine love (Agape). Modern authors have distinguished further varieties of love: unrequited love, empty love, companionate love, consummate love, infatuated love, self-love, and courtly love

By metmike - May 8, 2021, 1:31 a.m.
Like Reply

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit. - Harry S Truman

By metmike - May 9, 2021, 1:40 a.m.
Like Reply
  • “My mother is a walking miracle.” —Leonardo DiCaprio
  • “A mother understands what a child does not say.” —Jewish proverb
  • “The world needs our mothers.” —Liya Kebede
  • “A mother’s hug lasts long after she lets go.” —Unknown
  • “There is nothing as sincere as a mother’s kiss.” —Saleem Sharma
  • “Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face.” —George Eliot
  • “A mother is always the beginning. She is how things begin.” —Unknown
  • “We are born of love; love is our mother.” —Rumi
  • “Mother: the most beautiful word on the lips of mankind.” —Kahil Gibran
  • “There is no influence so powerful as that of the mother.” —Sara Josepha Hale
  • “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” —Princess Diana
  • “All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” —Abraham Lincoln
  • “A mother is the one who fills your heart in the first place.” —Amy Tan
  • “Mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled.” —Emily Dickinson
  • “A mother’s love is more beautiful than any fresh flower.” —Debasish Mridha

• “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.” —Unknown
  • “Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.” —Erich Fromm
  • “Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs since the payment is pure love.” —Mildred B. Vermont
  • “When you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Mitch Albom
  • “There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.” —Jill Churchill
  • “Mothers can look through a child’s eyes and see tomorrow.” —Reed Markham
  • “Mother—that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries.” —T. Dewitt Talmage
  • “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.” —Michael Jordan
  • “Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had.” —Linda Wooten
  • “Mothers possess a power beyond that of a king on his throne.” —Mabel Hale
  • “No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother’s love.” —Edwin Chapin
By 7475 - May 9, 2021, 7:43 a.m.
Like Reply

mm,

Every quote above is perfect.

I watch mothers perform their "tasks"-raising children. So many of those tasks are what appear to be just every day

exercises, so ordinary that we fail to say thanks or fail to appreciate their importance. We just expect that kind of thing because thats what Mothers do. They do it autopilot-like and thats prolly why I fail to make a bigger fuss about it. Just every day stuff to them!

John

By metmike - May 9, 2021, 2:23 p.m.
Like Reply

Exactly John!

Here's a good one.

metmike: If all of our countries had been led by mothers, especially military leaders since humans evolved..............thousands of wars would never have happened.

https://www.greynun.org/gn2/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/US-Involvement-in-War.pdf

How many wars have there been? Of  the  past  3,400  years,  humans  have  been  entirely  at  peace  for  268  of  them,  or  just  8  percent  of recorded history. At least 108 million people were killed in wars in the twentieth century. Estimates for the total number killed  in wars throughout all of human history range  from 150 million to 1 billion .Jul 6, 2003 How many wars has America had between 1776and 2017? The U.S. Has Been At War 222 Out of 239 Years. An interesting statistic: America has been at war 93% of the time 222 out of 239 years. Another way to put it: the U.S. has only  been at peace for less than 20 years total since its birth.(Mar.19, 2017)

By metmike - May 10, 2021, 1:51 a.m.
Like Reply

Would you bet your paycheck on a weather forecast for tomorrow? If not, then why should this country bet billions on global warming predictions that have even less foundation? Thomas Sowell
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/thomas-sowell-quotes

metmike: I really liked this guy's quotes a great deal before but now......dang, he's up there with MLK (-:

By metmike - May 11, 2021, 12:14 a.m.
Like Reply

Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric. - Thomas Sowell

By metmike - May 11, 2021, 11:47 p.m.
Like Reply
Ignorance is not bliss — it is oblivion. Determined ignorance is the hastiest kind of oblivion.
~ Philip Wylie ~

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Wylie

Philip Gordon Wylie (May 12, 1902 – October 25, 1971) was an American author of works ranging from pulp science fiction, mysteries, social diatribes and satire to ecology and the threat of nuclear holocaust.[1]

By metmike - May 13, 2021, 12:37 a.m.
Like Reply
 “No matter what life throws at you, or how unfair you think it is, never give up. Pick yourself up and go on.” — Megan Rapinoe, Soccer Player
By metmike - May 14, 2021, 1:47 a.m.
Like Reply
Don't give in to hate. That leads to the Dark Side.
~ George Lucas ~
in
~ The Empire Strikes Back ~
By metmike - May 15, 2021, 2:43 a.m.
Like Reply

You Don't Need A Reason to Help People: Nurse Inspirational Quotes Journal  & Notebook: Journal for Nurse, Everyday: 9781098834937: Amazon.com: Books

By metmike - May 15, 2021, 11:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Saturday, May 16, 2020

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian."
-- Dennis Wholey

By metmike - May 17, 2021, 3 a.m.
Like Reply

We can often learn new things about just about anything if we just look at life as a constant opportunity to learn something new.

When bad things happen...........those can be golden opportunities to learn lessons.

When good things happen...........those too can be opportunities to learn.

Being right about something often provides the least amount of learning, since we assume that we already knew what there is to know..........but we can also realize how much we did NOT know.

Being wrong always gives us the best opportunity to learn the most. Whether we take advantage of that or not............is our personal choice but the opportunity is always there   metmike

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/69389/#69480

By metmike - May 18, 2021, 1:31 a.m.
Like Reply

Inspiring Quotes to Help You Get Through Your Work Day

By metmike - May 19, 2021, 12:04 a.m.
Like Reply

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Johann_Gottlieb_Fichte

Upon the progress of knowledge the whole progress of the human race is immediately dependent: he who retards that, hinders this also.
~ Johann Gottlieb Fichte ~

Johann Gottlieb Fichte (19 May 176227 January 1814) was a German philosopher, who was one of the founding figures of the philosophical movement known as German idealism, a movement that developed from the theoretical and ethical writings of Immanuel Kant.

By metmike - May 20, 2021, 6:56 p.m.
Like Reply

OK, this is the case of a creative genius(in art or some other field)  saying something really dumb, that causes people to think that it must be brilliant because it came from that person.

By metmike - May 23, 2021, 12:09 p.m.
Like Reply

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

This quote from Friedrich Nietzsche sums up our capacity to learn how strong we are. When it feels like your limits are being tested, keep pushing yourself forward, because momentum is everything. As long as you keep moving forward--even with baby steps--nothing can keep you down.

By metmike - May 25, 2021, 1 p.m.
Like Reply

Quote of the Day - Saying of the Day

By metmike - May 28, 2021, 1:48 a.m.
Like Reply

"Waiting for perfect is never as smart as making progress."
--Seth Godin

By metmike - May 30, 2021, 2:49 a.m.
Like Reply
A person is strong only when he stands upon his own truth, when he speaks and acts from his deepest convictions. Then, whatever the situation he may be in, he always knows what he must say and do. He may fall, but he cannot bring shame upon himself or his cause. If we seek the liberation of the people by means of a lie, we will surely grow confused, go astray, and lose sight of our objective, and if we have any influence at all on the people we will lead them astray as well — in other words, we will be acting in the spirit of reaction and to its benefit.
~ Mikhail Bakunin ~
By metmike - June 1, 2021, 2:29 a.m.
Like Reply

http://www.links2love.com/images/quotebg2.jpg
 "The best portion of a good man's life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love."  

~ William Wordsworth            

By metmike - June 3, 2021, 12:52 a.m.
Like Reply

People around a table with a quote by Robert Kiyosaki

By metmike - June 5, 2021, 1:15 p.m.
Like Reply

"There is billions of times more information out there than we had a few decades ago. We can use it to learn everything that we have the time to spend learning it and become smarter/better educated, more knowledgeable and use it objectively to see the big picture that includes BOTH political sides views.

Or we can go to sites that tell us the news the way that we like to hear it and have our biased versions of the world constantly reinforced at the echo chambers and actually get dumber at times."

metmike June 5, 2021

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/70511/#70518

By metmike - June 8, 2021, 2:16 a.m.
Like Reply

Every generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality? ~ Scott Adams

By metmike - June 11, 2021, 3:17 a.m.
Like Reply

United Nations, June 2021:  " Science tells us these next 10 years are our final chance to avert a climate catastrophe"

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/70534/

United Nations June 29, 1989: "He said governments have a 10-year window of opportunity to solve the greenhouse effect before it goes beyond human control."

https://apnews.com/article/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

metmike: Wrong for 31 years and still wrong today. But we continue to carry their pessimistic, junk science message that is dragging down young people and stealing everybody's intelligence (that believes it) with propaganda about a fake climate crisis involving the building block of life on this greening planet............CO2.

By metmike - June 14, 2021, 2:53 a.m.
Like Reply

MLK Junior Quote "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'"

By metmike - June 15, 2021, 2:30 a.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - June 17, 2021, 12:54 a.m.
Like Reply
Coercion never produces harmony. How harmonious are people who are being forced to act against their will? Most likely, those who are coerced will resent those who benefit from the coercion. This sets group against group; it doesn't bring them together.
~ Harry Browne ~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Browne
By metmike - June 20, 2021, 2:39 a.m.
Like Reply

We don’t mature through age; we mature in awareness.
-Byron Katie

https://thework.com/about-the-work-of-byron-katie/

By metmike - June 22, 2021, 2:50 a.m.
Like Reply

I cannot teach anybody anything; I can only make them think.

- Socrates

Learning isn’t only about finding the right answer, but also creating the road that leads to the answer. Learning with every step is the true sign of progress.

By metmike - June 23, 2021, 2 a.m.
Like Reply

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

- Benjamin Franklin

Memories fade with time and lessons are forgotten, but experiences shape a human being and leave a lasting mark.

By metmike - June 25, 2021, 2:51 a.m.
Like Reply

Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.

- John Dewey

By metmike - June 27, 2021, 11:39 p.m.
Like Reply

Affirm Your Life: Daily Quotation for June 28, 2013

By metmike - June 28, 2021, 10:36 p.m.
Like Reply

June 29 Quote of the day - Inspiring Alley

By metmike - July 1, 2021, 12:34 a.m.
Like Reply

"We should all be so lucky to have someone who will never let us go.

The ultimate legacy is to leave behind someone who will love you forever."

~ Ally McBeal            

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ally_McBeal

By metmike - July 2, 2021, 10:37 p.m.
Like Reply

Why Ignorance is Not Bliss - The Dream Catcher

By metmike - July 11, 2021, 11:16 p.m.
Like Reply

900+ JULY 11 ideas | queen quotes, memes quotes, real quotes

By metmike - July 19, 2021, 2:55 a.m.
Like Reply

Vaccines save lives | UNICEF North Macedonia