Are members here siding with or against Liz Cheney?
24 responses | 0 likes
Started by WxFollower - May 10, 2021, 7:01 p.m.

Simple question:

Are members here siding with or against the very conservative Liz Cheney with regard to the 2020 election?

Comments
By WxFollower - May 10, 2021, 7:12 p.m.
Like Reply

I'm looking for just simple answers. No explanation is needed.

I'll start: 100% with Cheney. Nuff said!

Anyone else?

By metmike - May 10, 2021, 7:32 p.m.
Like Reply

100% Cheney

By metmike - May 11, 2021, 12:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Not getting anybody that will respond to you unfortunately Larry.

Schumer: 'The big lie is spreading like a cancer' among GOP

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/552846-schumer-the-big-lie-is-spreading-like-a-cancer-among-gop

By WxFollower - May 11, 2021, 6:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Indeed, the silence so far from members other than MetMike, especially considering this is just a simple question, is deafening.

I'll rephrase it for the other members to see if any will answer: 

Is Liz Cheney wrong for not supporting the Trump baseless idea that he rather than Biden was the actual winner?

It is beyond amazing that this is going on considering Cheney's VERY conservative voting record!

It appears that there is going to be an attempt to form a new conservative to moderate party. If so and if it takes hold, it is quite possible that I never vote GOP again.

By wglassfo - May 11, 2021, 8:01 p.m.
Like Reply

I am in no position to answer your question, by virtue of being a foreigner

However I listened to a podcast about some thing not remotely related to your question

But one comment stuck with me. Most countries that fail have some common factors. He must have listed at least three, maybe four

The part that stuck with me were the following two

1:  The population must have confidence in it's money

2:  The population must have confidence in it's government

The podcast was mostly about trading partners etc. which has nothing to do with your question other than some curiosity parameters for the podcast, some might have about any possible connection

I thought these two thoughts were important in many situations, your question included

By metmike - May 11, 2021, 8:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Larry,

If the republicans split like that, it will be the end of any chance to have a majority in either house and it will hand  the democrats landslide wins in presidential elections. Extremely high confidence.

They are already outnumbered, as one can see from the popular voting but have some big benefits from the electoral college.

Those benefits will not matter if Trump splits the party and takes anything at all away. Republicans need to totally unify to win the White House. The future generation/young people is very heavily loaded with democrats..............all of whom are celebrating that Trump won't go away.

If Trumps continues like this, we will be reading about it in history books as the significant end to what used to be a competitive republican party.

By GunterK - May 11, 2021, 8:05 p.m.
Like Reply

For a moment I thought you were asking, what others think of Liz Cheney.

Of course, this was not your question…. You are asking specifically about the 2020 election. In other words, what you really want to know is, if any one on this forum still believes the “election was stolen”

Apparently no one here wants to get involved in a debate about this subject again.

As far as Cheney as politician is concerned, I like a lot about the things she wants done. I am a bit turned off, however, that she still wants to justify the Iraq War. But that’s not what you asked about.

By metmike - May 11, 2021, 8:10 p.m.
Like Reply

"Apparently no one here wants to get involved in a debate about this subject again.'

They know that the moderator will crush them with AUTHENTIC facts, so probably thats my  fault for being so honest/scientific.....and having access to data.

By metmike - May 11, 2021, 8:20 p.m.
Like Reply

In thinking about this question a bit more and Gunter's response, I would like to use it as an opportunity to make it clear....again, that here at MarketForum, we should NEVER judge a person based on their political belief system.

I have always welcomed comments that disagree with me especially on climate change. With regards to views on Donald Trump. Regardless of me no longer supporting him and providing all the reasons for that in my typical long winded posts,  I don't want this to be a place where you are judged for your political ideology, including if you continue to support Trump.

This question, sort of forces that out in a manner that may be seen as confrontational and makes some feel like they are being judged.....or else, clearly we would have had a different response.

Instead of the lack of response suggesting anything. Let it tell us that we should strive to not make everything, always about whether you support Donald Trump or not.

Doing that is always going to be the absolute recipe for divisiveness.........which is tearing our country apart.

This forum can do well with people that hate Trump and people that support Trump(both with reasons that they feel strongly about) on many other important issues in the world..................even if we/they disagree.

It's called...................getting along with each other despite big differences in politics, skin color, cultures or scientific beliefs. 

I want to actually do it, not just say it. 

To make it clear. Regardless of your position on this topic or any other one, you are always welcome to give us your views. If I disagree, I will always try to use facts but when I appear to be judging you...........let me have it(Gunter is especially good with brutal honestly that I appreciate) and I apologize in advance for future incidents when I come off that way, accidentally because I'm getting carried away with my own points........getting carried away is part of who I am (-:

By 7475 - May 11, 2021, 9:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Re : Gunter's Perspective - my view :

The election was not literally stolen.

.Instead the public was hoodwinked by a vicious, deliberate ,underhanded ,insidious propaganda campaign propagated by the liberal parties and assured of success by Trump and his" antics".

Not stolen- just extreme political tactics which did and continue to bear fruit.

John

By metmike - May 11, 2021, 10:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks John!

By TimNew - May 12, 2021, 3:54 a.m.
Like Reply

"Crushed by authentic facts"..

MM,  I don't think you know what that phrase means.

By TimNew - May 12, 2021, 9:40 a.m.
Like Reply

For the record,  I don't think the pubs are doing anyone any favors on the actions re: Cheney.  Looks more like something dems would do.

By metmike - May 12, 2021, 11:01 a.m.
Like Reply

"Crushed by authentic facts"..

"MM,  I don't think you know what that phrase means."

Thanks Tim for the wonderful idea!

How to check that facts are authentic

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/69314/

By metmike - May 12, 2021, 4:35 p.m.
Like Reply

Cheney on Trump: 'I will do everything I can' to keep him away from the White House

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/553063-cheney-on-trump-i-will-do-everything-i-can-to-make-sure-he-gets-nowhere-near?rnd=1620828756

“I think that the party is in a place that we have got to bring it back from, and we've got to get back to a position where we are a party that can fight for conservative principles, that can fight for substance,” she said. “We cannot be dragged backward by the very dangerous lies of a former president.” 

By wglassfo - May 16, 2021, 2:01 p.m.
Like Reply

For those of you who think Liz Cheney walks on water while Trump wallows in the deep water, let me add some content

Liz has her own agenda and Trump claiming the election was stolen was manna from heaven. A chance to strike Trump down amidst his personal failure to accept the results of the election

Somebody even declared he put pence's life in dANGER WHICH NEEDS SOME EXPLAINING. mAYBE HE DID BUT NEWS TO ME RE: pENCE'S LIFE

Sorry for the caps

Back to Liz. Never let a political opportunity go to waste. After Liz endorsed the now debunked story about bounties on Americans in Afganistan, she is walking back her words. She was actively working with any and all who wanted troops to stay in Afganistan, and conveniently a blow to Trump who wanted the troops out. I think she wanted to replace Trump as the leader of the GOP and things were going her way.

It seems this lady will say anything for personal power and war mongering was a convenient attack on Trump.. Her Dad was a leading figure in the attack on Irag, talking up the debunked WMD fiasco

Just as her Dad taught her she will use a news article headline as fact when it is merely a headline with no confirming source in most if all times,  when she goes on TV

This lady is a war monger and war is the most dangerous game to our well being. But Liz will war monger if it scores political power, and be dammed if we suffer the consequences of war. After all Liz is not on the receiving end of those guns, but safe in DC war mongering every chance she gets, and IMHO be dammed if the body bags even register on her thoughts.

This lady is the worst of the worst. I suspect the GOP knew her history re: war mongering and decided that negatives out weighed the positive.

Nobody is all bad or good but D.C seems to bring some kind of animal spirit out for some to see.

Given the split in the GOP and down the road IMHO a split in the Dems, unity seems to be a forgotten word

And frankly "unity" was the hope of many

All of the above is just some thoughts about why unity is forgotten. And it only took 100 days, to start the process. 

By metmike - May 16, 2021, 2:11 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne!

Good point on politics playing a role.............it plays a role in everything. And everything that you stated was wonderful but the point Larry is asking is ON THIS ISSUE, regardless of who the politicians are and what the politics are........what do you believe is the right position?

Regardless of what Cheney has in mind or what her political ideologies are......are her points with regards to this issue, solid points?

Or are they made up/exaggerated points?

You absolutely do not have to answer that question or even respond. However, I'm pointing it out because it totally defines..............TOTALLY DEFINES the massive divide and future of the republican party. 

By metmike - May 16, 2021, 2:56 p.m.
Like Reply

Cheney: 'The majority of the Republican Party is not where I am'

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/553749-cheney-the-majority-of-the-republican-party-is-not-where-i-am

Minutes after being voted out of House GOP leadership, Cheney told reporters she will “do everything I can to ensure that the former president never again gets anywhere near the Oval Office.”

Cheney during the ABC interview dodged a series of questions on whether she plans to launch a presidential bid of her own, telling Karl she is “focused on my reelection in Wyoming.”

“I think it's really important that we as Republicans be in a position where we can present to our voters, to my voters in Wyoming and to our voters across the country, a set of issues and policies that reflect conservative principles but also hope and opportunity and inspiration,” she added.

By metmike - May 16, 2021, 2:59 p.m.
Like Reply

Maryland GOP governor: Trump is 'toxic for the Republican Party and for the country

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/553761-maryland-gop-governor-trump-is-toxic-for-the-republican-party-and?utm_source=thehill&utm_medium=widgets&utm_campaign=es_recommended_content

Maryland GOP Gov. Larry Hogan on Sunday said former President Trump is “toxic for the Republican Party and for the country.”

In an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union,” host Dana Bash asked Hogan if he agrees with Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), who said that Trump poses an ongoing threat to democracy.

Hogan responded by saying Trump is “toxic” for the GOP and the country, adding that the Republican Party will not win back control of the White House or Congress if it does not expand into a “big-tent party” and “appeal to a majority of people.”

“We've got to find a way to get the Republican Party back to the party of Lincoln and Reagan, get back to the more traditional big-tent party that can appeal to a majority of people. Otherwise we simply aren't going to have control, we're not going to get the White House back and we won't have control of the House and the Senate,” Hogan said.

Hogan also weighed in on the ouster of Cheney from her House GOP leadership position, which he called a “mistake.” He said the Republican Party is “doubling down on failure” by removing Cheney from her role as House GOP Conference Chair.

“We've lost the White House, the House and the Senate over the past four years, and to continue to, you know, do the exact same thing and expect a different result is the definition of insanity,” Hogan said.

metmike: If this were a science fiction novel,  instead of real life and they revealed at some point that Trump was a democrat operative with the objective of destroying the republicans, I would consider it to be a brilliantly written plot/story.

Supporting Trump is the recipe for the end of the republican party as we once knew it.

You can take that to the bank.

By metmike - May 16, 2021, 3:17 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't hate Trump and we are not censoring anything that anybody wants to say good or bad about him here. 

Whether you support him or not and whatever your reasons are for supporting him or not......at least realize what will happen if tens of millions continue to support him..........whether that's you or not you. 

By wglassfo - May 16, 2021, 7:38 p.m.
Like Reply

As you know Mike it can't be me as I don't get a vote

In fact I am very thankful the forum gives me space to voice a political opinion considering I am a foreigner

I went back and read the initial post and the word conservative caught my eye

This meant there was more to the post than most thought

I don't know her voting record but I wanted to point out that politicians who might be considered war mongers are not conservative. I suppose it depends on the definition of "conservative"

My fear has always been the penchant for some to continually "poke the bear" if that be china or Russia

I now realize I should have directed my post much more closely to my thoughts as I can see the confusion I caused by concentrating on "Conservative and war mongering" IMO mostly for political reasons to oppose Trump while others concentrated on the election question, which was to be expected

By WxFollower - May 16, 2021, 8:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne said:

"In fact I am very thankful the forum gives me space to voice a political opinion considering I am a foreigner"

-------------------------------------------------

Hey Wayne,

Technically, is this even an American forum? I mean this is the internet after all. Just because the founder, current moderator, and the vast majority of active posters apparently are in the US, does that make this an American forum? Just because mainly American markets, politics, COVID, and weather (though other areas are covered, too, especially South America) are followed, does that make it American? I'd argue, not really. There really are no boundaries from what I can tell. Conceivably though highly unlikely, there could one day end up being more, say, European or South American, active members although language barriers would make that hard.

Maybe all of us Americans are the foreigners and Wayne isn't? Maybe this is a Canadian board? <G>

I'd argue there are no foreigners here and at many BBs because there is no host country since the host is the internet.

I was just thinking. Didn't MarketForum around 1999-2000 have several active Brazilian members? Mike or others,  do you remember Nagual, Office Boy, and Cofco from the coffee threads?

Sorry for the tangent! And silly me, I'm hijacking a thread I started. <G> I just thought it would be interesting to mention.

By metmike - May 16, 2021, 9:03 p.m.
Like Reply

You are absolutely right Larry!

MarketForum is for everybody on the planet that gets the internet.

Its true that almost everybody here is from the US and probably thats why many topics focus on the US but its not designed to be that way. ....doesn't have to be that way.

You are right too that at one time we had a few posters from Brazil for sure and maybe some other countries.

Don't worry a bit about hijacking threads or changing topics in the middle of a thread either.

By metmike - May 16, 2021, 9:05 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

Seems to me that most of the war mongers in recent US history were republicans.

One reason that I was never-McCain in 2008 was for that reason.