confusion about "immigration"
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - June 18, 2021, 11:13 p.m.

This post could have been added to more than one thread on this forum. Therefore, I thought it best to make it a stand-alone post.

During discussion about immigration, people often throw all “immigrants” into the same pot… and that’s not right.

The comments below are believed to be correct… if not, please correct me. I am not a professional immigration agent…..

There are 3 ways to ‘immigrate” into the US.

Legal Immigrants.

I am one. I had to go to a US consulate in my home country and apply for a visa… At that time, they were mostly worried about the applicant being a communist sympathizer.So they checked me out really well. After I was vetted, I had to prove that I ether had a “sponsor” in the US who would be financially responsible for me… or I needed proof of a job offer (which I had). Once in, I worked and paid taxes, like any US citizen.

The US has a quota system in place, that allows a certain number of immigrants/year, different for each country. When I came from Europe, there was no problem with the quota system… but I heard that immigrants from the Philippines had wait times of 2 years at that time (because of the large number of applicants)

Refugees… 

Refugees are people who were forced to flee their home country, for various (acceptable) reasons. They also need to apply for refugee status, before they are let in.

Once accepted, they are paid a monthly Social Security check, get free food stamps, free medical, free education, etc, for 7 years. They don’t have to work, but I assume they are expected to find a job as soon as possible.

For example, in Long Beach, CA, is a large community of Cambodian refugees, who escaped the “Killing Fields” of the Khmer Rouge, in 1990s.

Right now, since the US is planning to leave Afghanistan, many Afghans who helped the US forces, would most likely be killed, once the Taliban takes over. They will be given “refugee” status.

Illegal Aliens…

(I refuse to use the term “undocumented immigrants”)… these are simply people who force their way into the US, without having permission. They can easily be compared with burglars who break into the back door of your house during the night. 

The proper thing would be to give them jail time, since they broke the law, but there aren’t enough prisons in the US. A simpler solution would be to simply load them onto a bus, once arrested, and ship them right back to Mexico. Since many of them are from other countries, Mexico would soon be filling up with illegals from other countries, which might induce them to shut their own Southern borders and stop the migration right there. Of course, Trump already had a successful agreement with Mexico, which slowed down illegal immigration.

In the old days, illegal aliens would hide in the bushes till nightfall, before they snuck across the border. Now since Biden is in charge, they don’t have to hide anymore. They cross in plain sight of the Border Patrol and walk right up to them and say “here we are, take care of us”… and they will be allowed to enter.   In other words…. there is no real “border” anymore.

Since Biden is in charge now, their numbers are expected to be in the neighborhood of 2.5 million/year, or more.

I believe, such a number is unacceptable.

Add to this the fact that illegal immigration now includes the largest child-trafficking operation in the history of mankind.   Furthermore, cartel members, M.E. terrorists, etc, are all taken advantage of our open borders.

Can this end well?

Comments
By metmike - June 19, 2021, 12:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Gunter!

"Furthermore, cartel members, M.E. terrorists, etc, are all taken advantage of our open borders."

Can you please provide some evidence of this(not single digit/isolated incidents or speculated but authentic evidence of terrorists crossing the southern border).  I'm not saying that it not likely that SOME of it is happening but would like real world evicence of the scale. Thanks

Republicans revive one of Trump’s most notorious immigration lies

They’re attacking Biden with dubious claims about terrorists crossing the southern border.

https://www.vox.com/22333880/kevin-mccarthy-southern-border-terrorists-immigration-joe-biden

US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) sent Vox a statement on Tuesday saying, “Our border security efforts are layered and include multiple levels of rigorous screening that allow us to detect and prevent people who pose national security or public safety risks from entering the United States,” and that “encounters of known and suspected terrorists at our borders are very uncommon.”

In reports issued during the Trump administration, the State Department said that there was “no credible evidence indicating that international terrorist groups have established bases in Mexico, worked with Mexican drug cartels, or sent operatives via Mexico into the United States” and that “there have been no cases of terrorist groups exploiting these gaps to move operations through the region.”

"The thing is, there’s a real problem at the southern border that Republicans could message on. But that they can’t help but sensationalize it indicates they’re only really interested in scoring cheap political points."

"That’s not to say that Biden’s handling of the situation at the southern border is above reproach. As my colleague Nicole Narea detailed Monday, the number of children currently being detained at CBP temporary holding facilities is at a record high, and they are being held longer than the law allows for. CBS News has reported the children are being kept in overcrowded, “jail-like stations unfit to house minors.”

By GunterK - June 19, 2021, 2:19 p.m.
Like Reply

metmike,

I have read stories about terrorists crossing our borders, more than once. However, I didn’t bother to bookmark them. But, even if I could bring up those links, you would call them “fake”, “conspiracy theories”, etc etc, only because they came from sites that you don’t want to hear from.

You then prove that all this is nonsense, by presenting an article that says “Republicans revive one of Trump’s most notorious immigration lies”

And that article comes from a site that is as far to the Left as CNN …. as far to the Left, as my links would have been to the Right.

Fortunately I found another, more recent incident, reported by a Left-leaning newspaper… the Los Angeles Times

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-04-05/u-s-border-patrol-agents-arrest-yemeni-men-on-terrorism-watch-lists

One could now argue… “2 M.E. terrorists… no big deal”

Yet, we have to consider that Mexican illegals often get arrested and deported multiple times. For them, it’s not a big deal to be caught… they just come back a few weeks later.

On the other hand, terrorists who came from thousands of miles away, for them being caught is a much more serious event. I must assume that they would go through extraordinary length to cross the border without being caught.

I must then speculate quite a few of such people have made it across the border undetected.   And, most importantly, one single terrorist is a bigger threat to the US, than 100,000s of regular illegals.

By metmike - June 19, 2021, 2:32 p.m.
Like Reply

"Can you please provide some evidence of this(not single digit/isolated incidents or speculated but authentic evidence of terrorists crossing the southern border)."

Thanks for confirming what I thought. If there was actual authentic evidence of more than single digit/isolate incidents...........then you would not have confidently provided this link as your evidence:

U.S. Border Patrol agents arrest Yemeni men on FBI terrorism watch list    

U.S. Border Patrol agents have arrested two Yemeni men on a terrorism watch list, U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced Monday.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-04-05/u-s-border-patrol-agents-arrest-yemeni-men-on-terrorism-watch-lists

With regards to my source................I look at what is being said and not WHO or WHAT is saying it. In that case, direct quotes and statements from actual border patrol authorities was the reason. If its an authentic fact, it can come from the far right, the far left or Bozo the clown. 

Sources on the right would NEVER carry an authentic quote like that, so it would have to come from the left or neutral source.

Maybe you missed the fact that they were critical of Bidens border policies too.

That's nice though that you used the left biased source to confirm that 2 known terrorists were busted crossing our southern border, thanks for that. I totally agree that there are probably other low numbers doing the same.....which is my point.

I am still wide open for additional evidence if you have it.

By GunterK - June 19, 2021, 2:45 p.m.
Like Reply

you need larger numbers of terrorists to make this issue important?

The 9/11 hijackers worked in teams of 3.    One terrorist with a small bomb in his shoe soles brought down a Panam flight.

By GunterK - June 19, 2021, 3:40 p.m.
Like Reply

metmike wrote:

" Sources on the right would NEVER carry an authentic quote like that, so it would have to come from the left or neutral source."

I understand.... this is where my problem is.

I will have to change my reading habits. I already have a subscription to the LA Times.  Thinking about getting one for the NYT.   CNN and MSNBC are easy to access....  If I wold just focus on the authentic reporting from these sites, it would be much better.  It shouldn't be too difficult. I used to watch CNN every morning, and life was good.

I also need to adjust to modern times. They always talk about old dogs and new tricks. I do have difficulty with certain modern terminology.

When somebody says "terrorist", I immediately see the image of the WTC going down. I worked for the company that had their HQ on the top floor, and I knew some of the people who died at that very moment.

In Biden's America, the term "terrorist" describes large groups of unarmed people carrying US flags and cameras.  They are the ones the country has to be afraid of. 

I will conform. I will conform... just give me time.