S&P500 Stat!
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - July 2, 2021, 1 p.m.

4350 area is double the pandemic low of just 15 months ago.

Comments
By Richard - July 2, 2021, 8:33 p.m.
Like Reply

The last time the prices paid index of the ISM was above 90 was right before the 08 crash. But no worries, this time IS different. 

By TimNew - July 2, 2021, 10:19 p.m.
Like Reply

No Kidding JOJ.   2020 was the best year I've ever had investing in equities,  by far.  But I broke a lot of rules.

1st.   I did not tell my wife how much we were losing during the crash.   The worst of it happened while we were in this amazing RV resort in Florida.  Spending money hand over fist.  Not a good time to tell her we were going broke <G>.

2nd.  I put everything I could into equities when I thought we were at the bottom.  I was about a month too early.  I was sweating as I lost more, but I just KNEW we were on the verge of a massive recovery.  Right?  Right?  And I did not tell my wife about that either.  Our agreement was that we were totally conservative.  That made me sweat too.  She woulda killed me.  It could have literally ruined our retirement.

But then, as I expected (hoped),  stocks did turn around and I had 8 months of amazing returns. By year end I had a 28% return on my equity holdings,  smashing any of my best years by at least 6%.

We've leveled off some in the last two months..  I am waiting for the amazing eco-metrics to be reflected in equities..   I hope they will.  But I am back to very conservative, and that's where I'll remain until things change.

By metmike - July 2, 2021, 11:06 p.m.
Like Reply

Congrats on 2020 being your best year ever Tim!

In equities, if you are a couple of months early and hold on......... good things go your way, like when smart guys like you do your homework and have confidence and patience.

In commodities, being aggressive and early, with your money often having 20 times the leverage of your money in stocks/equities.............you can go broke before the market turns in your favor (-:

By TimNew - July 2, 2021, 11:13 p.m.
Like Reply

Yeap.   That's why I left leverage on those levels behind a decade or so ago.    I'm not in the position to take that kind of risk.  2020 was way too much as it was, with 100%

By TimNew - July 3, 2021, 10:32 p.m.
Like Reply

I should probably mention that at the depths of the crash,  while I did not do the calculations,  I was down somewhere between 30 and 40%,  closer to 40.