Prof. Kary Mullis, fascinating and fun scientist
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by hayman - Oct. 3, 2021, 2:11 p.m.

Never knew that biochemist Kary Mullis, inventor of PCR Test and Nobel Prize recipient, was such an entertaining speaker.  Seems to be very genuine human being, naturally curious, creative and humorous. He was very much opposed to the whole "Climate Change" thing from a scientific perspective.

Kary Mullis, Legacy - DNA tests for criminal cases

Kary in TED Talk about Scientific Discovery

Kary in TED Talk on next generation cures 

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 3, 2021, 10:23 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks hayman! 

Interesting guy. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kary_Mullis

Kary Banks Mullis (December 28, 1944 – August 7, 2019) was an American biochemist. In recognition of his invention of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique, he shared the 1993 Nobel Prize in Chemistry with Michael Smith[3] and was awarded the Japan Prize in the same year. His invention became a central technique in biochemistry and molecular biology, described by The New York Times as "highly original and significant, virtually dividing biology into the two epochs of before PCR and after PCR."[4]

Mullis attracted controversy for denying humans' role in climate change and for expressing doubts that HIV causes AIDS.[5][1][6] He died, aged 74, from complications of pneumonia at his home in Newport Beach, California.[1]

By GunterK - Oct. 4, 2021, 5:14 a.m.
Like Reply

Dr Mullis and his PCR test came to fame during the AIDS-research days... Dr. Fauci came to fame for his research on AIDS.  No doubt, they had multiple interactions.

Here he talks about Dr Fauci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkqQIY7J0fQ

By metmike - Oct. 4, 2021, 10:37 a.m.
Like Reply

Exactly where I thought you might be going with this,...out of the blue to randomly post on this particular, very fascinating but complete wack-a doodle.

GrrlScientist

Nobel Prize in Quackpottery: Chemistry

The Nobel Prize in Quackpottery honours the surprisingly unscientific ideas of Nobel prizewinning scientists

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/reply_post/75737/

"I selected Mullis for this award to honour the severity of the damage that he has wrought upon his own scientific credibility. The reasons I chose Mullis are legion, and are based on his many unfounded attacks upon solid science that has been published in fields for which he has no expertise, research experience or training.

"I read a lot, and think a lot, and I can talk about almost anything", Mullis assures us in his Nobel autobiography

"Being a Nobel laureate is a license to be an expert in lots of things as long as you do your homework."

But Mullis hasn't done his homework. Despite lacking any training, research experience or expertise in either medicine or virology, Mullis -- in common with Peter Duesberg -- disputes whether HIV causes AIDS. Instead, he argues in his autobiography that AIDS is a conspiracy of environmentalists, government agencies and scientists attempting to preserve their careers and earn money. This is contrary to decades of published research findings that link AIDS and HIV, and some of best evidence refuting Mullis's AIDS/HIV denial are those thousands of HIV-positive people who, believing Mullis, refuse treatment -- but unfortunately, they're dead."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gunter, 

Once again, you showed your hatred for Fauci. Using comments from somebody with 0 credibility that once feuded with Fauci over a topic where your source blatantly disgraced himself. Discredited himself permanently in the science community because of his nutso, anti science conspiracy theories regarding AIDS................... that featured many accomplishments by Fauci to help people that Mullis didn't like because Fauci was the government.

Flying directly in the face of what I've been pleading with you to stop doing and in fact, now, defiantly psing in my face after several posts over the weekend clarifying what I want you to stop doing.

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/75715/

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/75612/

Those warnings with a small penalty,  obviously just motivated you to think that somehow you can be clever here and metmike is some sort of numbskull or you are sending me a message to go F myself on the threat of a couple days of suspension...........so you can take the rest of the month off to think about it. 

When you come back, if you do it again, after 200+ posts similar to this in 2021, you might go the way of vandenplas and mojo.

Gunter,

I'm dead serious. This place will no longer be a haven for neurotically posting hundreds of one sided junk science messages and MISinformation that is killing thousands of people right now. .........without the posters suffering consequences for major infractions that have been crystal clearly identified. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To be clear again on the infraction here for anybody that is unable to see the obvious.

The thread was intended by Gunter to show a nut job as a credible scientific source for the sole purpose of discrediting Anthony Fauci and with that his COVID vaccine policies.

Criticizing Fauci is totally acceptable here at MarketForum.

I have numerous times criticized Fauci for his mask policies or response to the protests/riots and for statements about where COVID came from..........based on FACTS and EVIDENCE using authentic points.

This was very dishonest, trying to bash Fauci in an area of his Fauci's  notable accomplishments in AIDS/HIV using the worst source on the planet's opinion about Fauci(a quack/nut  that battled Fauci using governmental conspiracy theories)

In other words, Gunter continues to make his case for government conspiracy theories and now has dropped to a new anti science, anti authenticity low by actually using  people like Mullis that believe in them as his sources against Fauci.

This is EXACTLY what I've been trying to get Gunter to STOP doing and he immediately did it after I did verbal backflips in several posts asking for him to stop:

Gunter,

You can post again on the NTR forum starting on November 1st. Trading posts are ok in the meantime.

By metmike - Oct. 4, 2021, 10:47 a.m.
Like Reply

This  far right conspiracy theory stuff involving Mullis  has been getting pushed around all year, which certainly would be why hayman would be on to it.

hayman,

Note my response to Gunter. 

Nobody here has pushed the DIS/MISinformation on COVID/the vaccine anywhere close to  Gunter with his nuerotic obsession this year(200+ posts, often junk or twisted science) but I will be warning others that do it chronically. 

Does a video back up its claim that Dr. Anthony Fauci had a Nobel laureate chemist murdered to silence him?

https://repustar.com/fact-briefs/does-a-video-back-up-its-claim-that-dr-anthony-fauci-had-a-nobel-laureate-chemist-murdered-to-silence-him

You will not that I never censor the DISinformation here. I show it and expose it as fraud and now...........will be suspend those who blatantly violate basic standards on our NO compulsive  posting of DIS information here...................something that I was too tolerant of and Gunter took advantage of our friendship in abusing. 

By metmike - Oct. 4, 2021, 2:16 p.m.
Like Reply

This couldn't be more relevant.

We don't want the Facebook model here................ that worships the traffic, especially those loaded with hate, divisiveness and MISinformation that are screaming out to others for responses in kind and making the world...........A MUCH WORSE PLACE!         

Facebook Whistle Blower            

Started by joj - Oct. 4, 2021, 11:05 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/75744/