NY Fire Stations closing down
17 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Oct. 31, 2021, 11:55 a.m.

It’s getting messy out there!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10148881/The-26-NY-firehouses-forced-close-firefighters-refused-vaccinated.html

Fire Department Stations are closing, because of fire-fighters walking out or quitting.

Police stations already suffering from “defunding” are losing more police officers who rather lose their job than be vaccinated.   Crime will go up.

2 weeks ago, So Western Airlines had to cancel 3000 flights, causing chaos at their airports. They blamed it on weather and other issues… but evidence showed that it was pilots protesting vaxx mandates.

The US Airforce will possibly lose several thousand pilots. It will be interesting to see how that one plays out… will the love of flying overcome their vaxx resistance?

Many hospitals are suffering from staff shortages, due to staff quitting or being fired. In NY, the maternity ward of a hospital was closed down, because 1/3 of their staff quit.

Isn’t it interesting….. throughout 2020, these nurses and doctors worked tirelessly taking care of Covid patients, risking their own lives (without being vaccinated). We called them “our heroes”… and now they are being fired for not being vaccinated.

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 31, 2021, 12:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Yes, it's very sad to see this happening Gunter!

By metmike - Oct. 31, 2021, 12:23 p.m.
Like Reply

The saddest thing of all, is that these otherwise good people, have, like many Americans,  let the politics go to their heads and are holding the Americans they are obligated/usually commited to serve............. hostage by refusing to do their jobs unless they get their way about the politics.

I'll bet many of them don't even realize that they are fighting for something that is so harmful to Americans.

Ironic but it shows the damaging mindset that can take over from powerful politics.

They are protesting in favor of something that is tremendously harmful to Americans, by using and hurting those same Americans to do it.

Understanding the tremendous damage that long term COVID is doing to over 11 million Americans that survive COVID(which has killed 700,000+ so far), it's insane that people would not be gung ho,  on board with a policy that is the best at protecting the most Americans......with almost no risk or inconvenience to those getting the 2 shots.

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/76747/#76822

By mcfarm - Oct. 31, 2021, 7:02 p.m.
Like Reply

during WW II millions put their personal interests. bias, politics, and lives to the side because they were asked to save the world. Sacrifice they did as few others have. Why they are called the greatest generation. Far fewer would of given everything they ever had if they had been ordered by Joe Biden and a bunch of loony bureaucrats who know exactly crap about anything.

And even more than that. The same bureaucrats flaunted the rules for the rest of us time after time and do til this very day. If you are gonna lead you have to be serious about the rules for everyone. Elites do not and never have.

By metmike - Oct. 31, 2021, 10:30 p.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

No truer words have ever been typed. So glad that you brought this up too, thank you. 

We owe everything to these unselfish men that totally risked and in many cases lost their lives for the freedoms that the rest of us take for granted.

They went thru hell for us. Gave up everything for their country............for the entire world. 

Today, we have tens of millions of people that won't take 2 extremely low risk shots(that benefit them personally the most) for our country because of politics.

Back to the hero's of WW-2.

What many people may not realize is that in most wars, fatalities were greater from diseases than from battle inflicted injuries.

In many cases, by a wide margin......until vaccines came on the scene.

Here's a great look to provide some perspective about where we came from. These heroic men would be embarrassed to read some of the stories about people today that put politics and personal agenda way ahead of serving their country and the people in it.

This is a highly recommended read.....from 2015!

How World War II spurred vaccine innovation

https://theconversation.com/how-world-war-ii-spurred-vaccine-innovation-39903

"Before World War II, soldiers died more often of disease than of battle injuries. The ratio of disease-to-battle casualties was approximately 5-to-1 in the Spanish-American War and 2-to-1 in the Civil War. Improved sanitation reduced disease casualties in World War I, but it could not protect troops from the 1918 influenza pandemic. During the outbreak, flu accounted for roughly half of US military casualties in Europe.

As the Second World War raged in Europe, the US military recognized that infectious disease was as formidable an enemy as any other they would meet on the battlefield. So they forged a new partnership with industry and academia to develop vaccines for the troops. Vaccines were attractive to the military for the simple reason that they reduced the overall number of sick days for troops more effectively than most therapeutic measures. 

This partnership generated unprecedented levels of innovation that lasted long after the war was over. As industry and academia began to work with the government in new ways to develop vaccines, they discovered that many of the key barriers to progress were not scientific but organizational. 

Under the leadership of virologist Thomas Francis Jr, the commission gained FDA approval for their vaccine in less than two years. It was the first licensed flu vaccine in the US. In comparison, it takes eight to fifteen years on average to develop a new vaccine today. 

Flu vaccine, as the Army later discovered, required annual tweaking to match circulating strains of the virus, which it still does today. Even so, the timeline from development to use was a remarkable achievement."

Working together for the greater good

"his cooperative, duty-driven approach to vaccine development persisted into the postwar era, even after the urgency and structure of wartime programs dissolved. This contributed to high rates of vaccine innovation through the middle of the 20th century.  

Don Metzgar, a virologist who began working in the vaccine industry in the 1960s explained to me in an interview that, “pharmaceutical companies looked at vaccine divisions as a public service, not as huge revenue generators.” 

When the military requested limited-use vaccines, such as meningococcal meningitis and adenovirus, industry obliged. But a series of legal, economic and political transformations in the 1970s and 80s disrupted this military-industrial partnership. Without industry cooperation, new vaccine development stalled and some existing vaccines were discontinued. 

We need to leverage this capacity by reintroducing the highly integrated research practices to accelerate the translation of laboratory findings into working vaccines. Let’s not wait for history to teach us that lesson again."

By metmike - Oct. 31, 2021, 10:40 p.m.
Like Reply

102-year-old veteran compares vaccine drive to WWII service

May 30, 2021

https://www.news10.com/news/coronavirus/102-year-old-veteran-compares-vaccine-drive-to-wwii-service/

“When our nation needed us and Uncle Sam came calling, we answered. We fought the Nazis and stormed the beaches of Normandy,” veteran Bill Swetow says in the video released Saturday by County Executive Pat Ryan. He adds, “And over 75 years later, we are at another moment where we need every American to do their part.”

"Swetow says in the minute-long PSA, “We are not asking you to fire a gun, dig a trench, or go to a foreign land. But we are asking you to join the fight, the fight against COVID-19. And we want you to get vaccinated.”

"It is safe, it is accessible and it is your duty" he says.

Listen to his words yourself at the link above.

It's a great honor just to be able to pass along a sincere non political message  from a true hero (not many of them left today) intended to help his fellow Americans.  

By metmike - Oct. 31, 2021, 10:53 p.m.
Like Reply

WWII Veteran Statistics                         

The Passing of the WWII Generation

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/wwii-veteran-statistics?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_fiLBhDOARIsAF4khR2kyq5dgCpV6TbaWv3kctKajUKFBvpXslPE5RPpEOKJSGNujx4dXPMaAmu4EALw_wcB

Every day, memories of World War II—its sights and sounds, its terrors and triumphs—disappear. Yielding to the inalterable process of aging, the men and women who fought and won the great conflict are now in their 90s or older. They are dying quickly—according to US Department of Veterans Affairs statistics, 240,329 of the 16 million Americans who served in World War II are alive in 2021.

Honoring the 20th-century veterans’ sacrifice before they pass from the scene is at the forefront of everything we do at The National WWII Museum—from our exhibits, to oral histories, to the Museum’s $400 million capital campaign, a lasting tribute to the war generation.

“There’s no time to lose,” said Gordon H. “Nick” Mueller, President and CEO Emeritus of the Museum. “We want to be able to finish and dedicate our expansion while we still have members of the Greatest Generation to thank for their sacrifice and service to the nation and to show the world what they mean to the principle of freedom.”

The graph below uses statistics from the US Department of Veterans Affairs to emphasize the urgency of our mission. The projections for each year are updated on September 30.

By metmike - Oct. 31, 2021, 11:15 p.m.
Like Reply

President Kennedy.

"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erToncXU8Qs

By TimNew - Nov. 1, 2021, 7:49 a.m.
Like Reply

The saddest thing of all, is that these otherwise good people, have, like many Americans,  let the politics go to their heads and are holding the Americans they are obligated/usually commited to serve............. hostage by refusing to do their jobs unless they get their way about the politics.

MM,  you've made it quite clear that you place little value on personal freedom,  liking it to "petty politics", I also realize that it's impossible for you to understand people who see freedom as more than "petty politics".   Sadly,   your indifferene is quite a dishonor to those who fought and died, sacrificing everything to give you that freedom.  Even worse,  if there are enough people who share your indifference, and it appears there may very well be,  you'll get first hand experience with why freedom is so important.   For my sake,   I hope that doesn't happen,  but I would certainly not mind watching from a  safe distance.  It would be quite a learning experience for you.

By metmike - Nov. 1, 2021, 11:32 a.m.
Like Reply

Wow Tim!

To go to such an  extreme  assassination of my character.........describing me as the 100% polar opposite  of who I really am on several fronts and twisting my posts like a pretzel to somehow mean the opposite of what they really mean because I disagree with you on getting 2 shots.

Instead of keeping the discussion on facts or science or ethics or even the politics in that last post.......and especially being honest and respecting each other.

I won't respond in kind but instead, will just copy your post below and ask you if you are proud of it?

I think you are capable of much better than this Tim. What do you think?

"MM,  you've made it quite clear that you place little value on personal freedom,  liking it to "petty politics", I also realize that it's impossible for you to understand people who see freedom as more than "petty politics".   Sadly,   your indifferene is quite a dishonor to those who fought and died, sacrificing everything to give you that freedom.  Even worse,  if there are enough people who share your indifference, and it appears there may very well be,  you'll get first hand experience with why freedom is so important.   For my sake,   I hope that doesn't happen,  but I would certainly not mind watching from a  safe distance.  It would be quite a learning experience for you."

By cutworm - Nov. 1, 2021, 9:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Mike I think that you assassinated your own character by your own statement. I agree with Tim. 

By TimNew - Nov. 2, 2021, 4:18 a.m.
Like Reply

Once again,  your statement.  Not too many ways to read this.  "Unless they get their way about politics"...

One of the most fundamental basic rights is to choose what goes into our bodies.   If you support mandates that overrule that right, then you obviously see rights as something subordinate to government rule.   

"Those who choose temporary security over liberty end up with neither".

By cutworm - Nov. 2, 2021, 6:54 a.m.
Like Reply

Autonomy

The philosophical underpinning for autonomy, as interpreted by philosophers Immanuel Kant (1724–1804) and John Stuart Mill (1806–1873), and accepted as an ethical principle, is that all persons have intrinsic and unconditional worth, and therefore, should have the power to make rational decisions and moral choices, and each should be allowed to exercise his or her capacity for self-determination [9]. This ethical principle was affirmed in a court decision by Justice Cardozo in 1914 with the epigrammatic dictum, “Every human being of adult years and sound mind has a right to determine what shall be done with his own body” [10].

Principles of Clinical Ethics and Their Application to Practice - FullText - Medical Principles and Practice 2021, Vol. 30, No. 1 - Karger Publishers

By metmike - Nov. 2, 2021, 9:30 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks cutworm and Tim!

Great points!

By cfdr - Nov. 2, 2021, 11:36 a.m.
Like Reply

Remember Bud & Lou and "Who's on first base?"

Bud: ‘You can’t come in here!’

Lou: ‘Why not?’

Bud: ‘Well because you’re unvaccinated.’

Lou: ‘But I’m not sick.’

Bud: ‘It doesn’t matter.’

Lou: ‘Well, why does that guy get to go in?’

Bud: ‘Because he’s vaccinated.’

Lou: ‘But he’s sick!’

Bud: ‘It’s alright. Everyone in here is vaccinated.’

Lou: ‘Wait a minute. Are you saying everyone in there is vaccinated?’

Bud: ‘Yes.’

Lou: ‘So then why can’t I go in there if everyone is vaccinated?’

Bud: ‘Because you’ll make them sick.’

Lou: ‘How will I make them sick if I’m NOT sick and they’re vaccinated.’

Bud: ‘Because you’re unvaccinated.’

Lou: ‘But they’re vaccinated.’

Bud: ‘But they can still get sick.’

Lou: ‘So what the heck does the vaccine do?’

Bud: ‘It vaccinates.’

Lou: ‘So vaccinated people can’t spread covid?’

Bud: ‘Oh no. They can spread covid just as easily as an unvaccinated person.’

Lou: ‘I don’t even know what I’m saying anymore. Look. I’m not sick.

Bud: ‘Ok.’

Lou: ‘And the guy you let in IS sick.’

Bud: ‘That’s right.’

Lou: ‘And everybody in there can still get sick even though they’re vaccinated.’

Bud: ‘Certainly.’

Lou: ‘So why can’t I go in again?’

Lou: ‘I’m not asking who’s vaccinated or not!’

Bud: ‘I’m just telling you how it is.’

Lou: ‘Nevermind. I’ll just put on my mask.’

Bud: ‘That’s fine.’

Lou: ‘Now I can go in?’

Bud: ‘Absolutely not?’

Lou: ‘But I have a mask!’

Bud: ‘Doesn’t matter.’

Lou: ‘I was able to come in here yesterday with a mask.’

Bud: ‘I know.’

Lou: So why can’t I come in here today with a mask? ….If you say ‘because I’m unvaccinated’ again, I’ll break your arm.’

Bud: ‘Take it easy buddy.’

Lou: ‘So the mask is no good anymore.’

Bud: ‘No, it’s still good.’

Lou: ‘But I can’t come in?’

Bud: ‘Correct.’

Lou: ‘Why not?’

Lou: ‘But the mask prevents the germs from getting out.’

Bud: ‘Yes, but people can still catch your germs.’

Lou: ‘But they’re all vaccinated.’

Bud: ‘Yes, but they can still get sick.’

Lou: ‘But I’m not sick!!’

Bud: ‘You can still get them sick.’

Lou: ‘So then masks don’t work!’

Bud: ‘Masks work quite well.’

Lou: ‘So how in the heck can I get vaccinated people sick if I’m not sick and masks work?’

Bud: ‘Third base.

By metmike - Nov. 2, 2021, 12:37 p.m.
Like Reply

Pretty funny cfdr!

By GunterK - Nov. 2, 2021, 1:26 p.m.
Like Reply

By metmike - Nov. 2, 2021, 3:52 p.m.
Like Reply

You like meme's too Gunter?

metmike: That link again is:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/76747/#76822