For history buffs
4 responses | 1 like
Started by GunterK - Nov. 8, 2021, 12:16 a.m.

If you are interested in European history, the link below shows a spectacular map, changing with time.

Play at full-screen, to get the most out of it.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/watch-how-european-map-has-changed-over-2400-years

further down in this article, there is an interesting little paragraph about the Huns:

"..370 AD - The Arrival of the Huns

Spurred on by severe drought conditions in Central Asia, the Huns reached Europe and found a Roman Empire weakened by currency debasement, economic instability, overspending, and increasing incursions from rivals along its borders.”

Sound familiar?

Comments
By metmike - Nov. 8, 2021, 12:24 a.m.
Like Reply

Thank you Gunter!

By cfdr - Nov. 8, 2021, 11:04 a.m.
Like Reply

Yes, I had seen that.  It is similar to one from many years ago that came out of a floppy disc called Centennia.

Fascinating.  It's no wonder people there don't get along.  (g). Our son was traveling in the Sochi - Yalta region last spring, and he said (over whats app) that they had just visited an area preserved since 800 - and his girlfriend in the background said - BC.

Gunther, I read a fascinating book three or four years ago

https://www.amazon.com/Age-Caesar-Five-Roman-Lives/dp/0393292827/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1636386995&sr=8-1

The parallels to today are striking in many ways.  I wonder about this in relation to Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon and having the people of Rome welcome him.  Corruption in Rome was at an unbelievable level.  And the (then) oligarchs murdered him.  They were the Senators, who were the bankers at the time, and Caesar threatened them when he was sending his appraisers out to revalue loans they had written down to market values.

The cycles continue.  Ecclesiastes 3.  They knew it way back then.

By GunterK - Nov. 8, 2021, 7:33 p.m.
Like Reply

cfdr,

Thanks for the tip… sounds like an interesting book.

Today they murder people on the internet, by destroying their reputation, and the masses lap it up.

By cfdr - Nov. 11, 2021, 9:38 a.m.
Like Reply

I would like to recommend one more movie we just rented from Netflix.

"Mr. Jones"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6828390/

Back in the USSR

This is a powerful film which I'm afraid few people will watch. Even those who watch it, may feel the situations it portrays are exaggerated or completely made up. They are not. The problems caused by Stalin in Ukraine are, if anything, downplayed.

But beyond the historical accuracy are the questions about the behavior of the people and their morality as it is portrayed in the film. Did diplomats and politicians really behave like this? Not only did they behave like this. They continue to behave like this. I've worked in government NGOs overseas and I've seen the insincerity of most diplomats close up. I've also experienced their ability to blind themselves of the truth if the truth endangers their high paid positions.