Asking the forum for thoughts about working conditions
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Dec. 10, 2021, 4:41 p.m.

We are in the process of looking for an employee. [Just one: this yr or next]

We like to shut the work shop down during Jan and Feb

Saves on 2 months of coldest weather with less heating cost  10 months is enough time to keep machinery operational.

Employees collect Unemployment insurance for 2 months plus we pay extra for 10 months to equal working 12 months

We though employees would enjoy a brief 2 month holiday from work

Wrong:

This is the second worker, since a month ago, who wants to work 12 months, with normal holidays, etc.

They seem to not want to mess with unemployment forms, waiting 2 weeks etc.

That means we have to find "make work" projects and pay for extra work shop heating fuel etc. Insulated work shop but uses LP so it is a cost. We are also finding workers are asking for more money which we understand, what with inflation etc. On the other hand do you give 2-3% increase in wages/yr. 2-3% doesn't seem like very much to the worker but compounded over 20-25 yrs if the workers stays, adds up to a high wage after 10 yrs or more

Our average wage for workers with some skills, is approx. 23.00 CAD or maybe 28-29 USD/hr

If you were looking for a job wat things would rate as high on you list of working conditions

It is hard for us [especially my son and myself] to put ourselves in the shoes of an employee. When we were younger, jobs were scarce and you accepted the best that was offered, which might be only one job after looking for some time

Times have changed and we need to change

Employees have multiple job offers, today

We need to know when a new worker comes by, if money is the carrot or what else can we offer. [such as time off for special occasions etc] I think we have a decent/good reputation amongst our part time workers that they spread amongst their net work.

Comments
By wglassfo - Dec. 10, 2021, 4:48 p.m.
Like Reply

My math is not very good

23.00 CAD = 18.00 USD/hr.

By metmike - Dec. 10, 2021, 9:31 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne, this one is not up my alley.

Anybody else?

By 7475 - Dec. 10, 2021, 9:50 p.m.
Like Reply

What im involved with is a different animal than what Wanye is involed with.

Im in NJ and the trend has been to harness the foreign labor market. Establish a relationship with the communities that have an abundance of skilled/unskilled labor - roofers sheetrockers landscapers carpenters painters etc.

Provide steady work to these groups as subcontractors and liason with your customers.

I havent done this and still act as a contractor/carpenter and general contractor. Ill hire those who have the relationships with labor and find even with the middle man it is lucrative. 

Its tough to get these labor crews inside occupied homes - production work uninhibited is where its at!

I cant compete with them so I joined them and handle those more delicate and sensitive duties.

Workmanship and ethics are most often top notch.

The way it is.

Wanye,you prolly get involed with an employer/employee situation and that just doest work well with what Ive descibed-always exceptions tho-find your nitch.

John

By TimNew - Dec. 11, 2021, 6:34 a.m.
Like Reply

Labor is tight here in the US and I am assuming the same is true in Canada, so in short, employees have a buyers market. Employers are competing for labor, and as always the case in competition,  you have to do a little better than your competition.

In short,  I can't begin to tell you what is appropriate in your market,  but what I would do is find out what my "competition" is doing, and do a little better.  If I can not afford to do better,  then I have to figure out a way to do without.  Do the work myself, contract it out, a combination.  

But again, without being on site,  I can't possibly know the right choice to make.   You, Wayne, seem to have a long history of "right choices".  I bet this time will be no different.  

By 7475 - Dec. 11, 2021, 7:55 a.m.
Like Reply

So now that the bar has been raised for wages and bennies we wait for the inevitable souring of the economy.

Then  how about someone tell me how to lower that bar when my customers wont or cant pay the inflated prices 

that higher bar created- doesnt happen without threat of unfair termination lawsuits or loss of labor i have depended on - and everybody sits home.

Now when i use subs and their families have to eat i can find reasonable labor cost to some extent , that is if i can find any work at all.

This scenario is as old as the bible

By TimNew - Dec. 11, 2021, 8:05 a.m.
Like Reply

What will likely happen, or at least hopefully,  is that after this spike,  wages will plateau while the rest of the economy catches up.

The other possibility is far less desirable.

If we reach the point where people can't afford the higher wages,  we'll have a financial crisis that will make last year, and/or 2008-9 look like a picnic. There will be no easy fix.

That's the thing about inflation. It's not a problem until it is, and then it's HUGE!

By hayman - Dec. 11, 2021, 1:26 p.m.
Like Reply