Most monoclonal antibodies not working
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Jan. 25, 2022, 1:44 p.m.
Comments
By metmike - Jan. 25, 2022, 1:46 p.m.
Like Reply

Article from last week:

FDA considers limiting authorization of certain monoclonal antibody treatments

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/22/health/fda-authorize-monoclonal-antibodies/index.html

By metmike - Jan. 25, 2022, 1:50 p.m.
Like Reply

This has been known since last month but I just didn't know it then.

Hospitals Scramble as Antibody Treatments Fail Against Omicron - The New York Times

The single remaining monoclonal antibody therapy effective against the variant is now in short supply in the U.S., imperiling 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/21/health/covid-monoclonal-antibodies-omicron.html

Jan 5......3 weeks ago:

Monoclonal antibody therapy not working against omicron variant

https://fox2now.com/news/monoclonal-antibody-therapy-not-working-against-omicron-variant/

As the omicron variant of COVID is spreading quickly across the area one tool used to help keep people out of the hospital is no longer an option. 

The monoclonal antibody therapies that were helping keep some people out of the hospital are not working against the omicron variant. 

Dr. Clay Dunagan, BJC’s senior vice president and chief clinical officer, says there is one antibody that is available but it is in short supply. He says doctors can only treat a small fraction of patients with it and it will be held for patients that are very high risk. 

Dunagan explained during this afternoon’s St. Louis Metropolitan Pandemic Task Force briefing that there are some anti-viral medications available but they have limitations. 

Drugmakers Regeneron and Eli Lilly have been the go-to treatments for early COVID-19, thanks to their ability to head off severe disease and keep patients out of the hospital.

But both drugmakers recently warned that laboratory testing suggests their therapies will be much less potent against omicron, which contains dozens of mutations that make it harder for antibodies to attack the virus. And while the companies say they can quickly develop new omicron-targeting antibodies, those aren’t expected to launch for at least several months.

A third antibody from British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline appears to be the best positioned to fight omicron. But Glaxo’s drug is not widely available in the U.S., accounting for a small portion of the millions of doses purchased and distributed by the federal government. U.S. health officials are now rationing scarce drug supplies to states. 

The president also announced that the U.S. is doubling its order for an anti-viral pill produced by Pfizer that was recently authorized by the FDA to prevent serious illness and death from COVID-19. That means 20 million doses, with the first 10 million pills to be delivered by June.

A senior administration official said that combined with other therapies, such as monoclonal antibodies and convalescent plasma, 4 million treatments that are effective against the omicron variant would be available by the end of January.

By cutworm - Jan. 26, 2022, 8:26 a.m.
Like Reply

Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine can be a treatment. Best if used early.

Best to take a zinc supplement. along with Vitamins C and D

Ivermectin/COVID treatments - MarketForum

Edit  I am not a doctor. This is JMHO 

By bear - Jan. 26, 2022, 12:31 p.m.
Like Reply

my father (82) had delta in sept.  got the antibody treatment.  yes it helped.  he's ok now. 

the folks in the hospital did say it was one of the more mild cases they had in the hospital at that time.  

this may be an unrelated factor, but... all the time i was growing up, my dad never seemed to get the flu.  every other person around could get really sick from the flu,  but dad never got the flu.  yes, he'd get the occasional head cold, but never a bad flu.  

By metmike - Jan. 26, 2022, 12:40 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks cutworm!

I'm not so sure on the hydroxychloroquinn except that it's extremely safe. I've been taking it for almost 4 months for my autoimmune disorder with no problems.

The one thing that it could most likely help with is to control cytokine storms but you'd have to be on it a long time and you have to treat cytokine storms immediately or they can kill you.

However, we have an extremely effective treatment for cytokine storms and severe COVID now that's saved hundreds of thousands of lives...........steroids.

You should NEVER EVER use steroids early on and on your own because they suppress your immune system when you need it the most.

It's after the disease has OVER stimulated your immune system that results in cytokine storms which then kill you. Then you aggressively administer steroids to suppress the immune system to save the COVID patients life. 

When is that time?  You'll probably be in the hospital and likely in the ICU when it happens, so the doctors will know!

Cytokine storms, evolution and COVID-19

https://academic.oup.com/emph/article/9/1/83/6128681

Steroid harms if given early in COVID-19 viraemia

https://casereports.bmj.com/content/14/2/e241105

With regards to Ivermectin:

This drug interferes with the replication of viruses. We still need more good peer reviewed large studies to be sure how effective it is but the evidence is pretty strong.....strong enough for me to take it because IT IS SAFE, unless you have no idea what you're doing and down enough for a 1,000+ lb animal.

If you have no idea what the safe dose is............on anything............better to get it figured out first(or don't take it) because too much of anything can have adverse reactions.

By metmike - Jan. 26, 2022, 1:09 p.m.
Like Reply

I'm pretty sure my wife and I had a variant of Omicron that couldn't be tested and we both had 2 false negatives(I had one positive)...actually she had 3 (false) negatives 1-molecular false, 2-antigen false.

I took 3 doses of Ivermectin and she took 1 dose.

I can't know that it had any effect on the course of the virus(it was for sure a virus because she was on strong antibiotics for a severe ear infection and that would have killed it if it wasn't a virus).

Her outcome was similar to mine.

Her symptoms were MUCH worse early on(severe headache/loss of appetite/lethargic)  but she had the bad ear infection. Hers ended before mine(which is why I think she gave it to me).

She has a horrible immune system and gets sick almost every month with something. 

I never get sick. The last cold was 20 years ago. Had the flu 1 time in the last 40 years. 

With my autoimmune disease, I seriously would have had no idea I was even sick this last time, except my wife was sick, so I took my temperature and realized I had a low grade fever for over a week.

The symptoms were not distinguishable from my autoimmune disease........other than my nose was dripping alot for over a week. 

This is the case with millions of people with Omicron. They don't even know that they are sick and they are never reported as a positive case. 

Either some never before virus is spreading around the country that has all the symptoms of Omicron orrrrrr the tests are not able to detect a variation of  Omicron.

I believe its the tests not picking it up. 

And here's the thing. You can't get the proof of the scale because of the dynamic. The unreported false negatives with mild cases...........will almost always be unreported false negatives that all assume the test was correct and they must have "something else".

The ones that get REALLY sick and test again that get a positive got REALLY sick.  The assumption is that they tested too early the first time but that the tests did their job.

No, they just cant detect people with mild cases. When I got my really faint positive I was probably at the peak and the test was just barely able to detect enough antigens(the home antigen test).

I haven't studied how this can happen but am speculating based on the reality.

My wifes body doesn't make many cytokines so although she was sicker than me.......the tests failed on her 3 times.....for the same virus that I had.