NRA was in favor of gun control for much of the 20th century!!
1 response | 0 likes
Started by WxFollower - May 29, 2022, 11:13 p.m.

I learned something new today: During most of its existence, the 2nd Amendment had nothing to do with the central platform of the NRA. As a matter of fact, during the1920s-1960s, the NRA was actually in favor of strict gun control!

"Not only did the NRA support gun control for much of the 20th century, its leadership in fact lobbied for and co-authored gun control legislation."

"In the 1920s, the National Revolver Association, the arm of the NRA responsible for handgun training, proposed regulations later adopted by nine states, requiring a permit to carry a concealed weapon, five years additional prison time if the gun was used in a crime, a ban on gun sales to non-citizens, a one day waiting period between the purchase and receipt of a gun, and that records of gun sales be made available to police."

"The NRA assisted Roosevelt in drafting the 1934 National Firearms Act and the 1938 Gun Control Act, the first federal gun control laws."

In 1939, Karl T. Frederick, the president of the NRA, testified before Congress stating, “I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses.”

"The NRA also supported California’s Mulford Act of 1967, which had banned carrying loaded weapons in public in response to the Black Panther Party’s impromptu march on the State Capitol to protest gun control legislation on May 2, 1967."

The NRA was not the first major organization associating the 2nd Amendment with individual gun ownership rights. It was actually the Black Panthers! 

Did you folks know all of this?

https://time.com/4431356/nra-gun-control-history/

Comments
By metmike - May 29, 2022, 11:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Wow, Larry!

This is mind boggling. Thanks for adding something totally new and informative and for starting a long overdue new thread on the topic.