Juneteenth
7 responses | 1 like
Started by metmike - June 16, 2022, 7:28 p.m.

How many people like the fact that we have a brand new Federal holiday this year.

Juneteenth.

How many knew what it is?

I actually knew what it is/was but am shocked that they made it a Federal Holiday last year and so now the markets are closed on Monday.

Federal Holidays 2022

Though I understand the reason to celebrate it.......and there should be great encouragement to do that, making the delivery of the news that slavery was over in TX is a really dumb NATIONAL holiday and not even in the same league as all the other ones.

Honoring the hundreds of thousands of brave soldiers that gave their lives fighting for the United States......that's worth  at least 2 holidays.

The discovery of our country and when we became a country. Clearly justified.

Honoring our many great presidents/leaders......absolutely.

Martin Luther King, greatest civil rights leader and great man........very justified.

But the truth is that Juneteenth was recognized in honor of George Floyd, with pressure from the fake civil rights, anti law enforcement group, BLM. 

Man, this is REALLY messed up to make it a National Holiday.

NATIONAL holidays are when everybody in our country comes together in agreement to honor those who served our country, often thousands giving their lives for our freedom.

This is the most dumb, divisive, counter productive mentality holiday ever.

I get that Floyd was murdered by a cop and a horrible act of murder by the really bad cop but some people pushing the hardest for this are using it to go with their ANTI law enforcement rhetoric/agenda.

Why don't we also have a holiday to remember the thousands of blacks killed by other blacks the last decade in just Chicago? That's thousands of times more innocent blacks than George Floyd and maybe if we drew more attention to that ongoing situation INSTEAD OF THIS, THE MURDER RATE WOULD GET THE ATTENTION IT NEEDS TO ACTUALLY SAVE BLACKS LIVES. 

Comments
Re: Juneteenth
0 likes
By metmike - June 16, 2022, 7:44 p.m.
Like Reply

Juneteenth Recognition Gains Momentum, Significance in Wake of George Floyd, Black Lives Matter Protests

https://www.newswise.com/articles/juneteenth-recognition-gains-momentum-significance-in-wake-of-george-floyd-black-lives-matter-protests

17-Jun-2021 10:10 AM EDT,by SUNY Buffalo State College

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_racial_unrest

2020 United States racial unrest

Clockwise from top:
DateMay 8, 2020 – ongoing
(7 months and 4 days)
Location United States
Caused bySeveral deaths related to police activity, notably the killing of George Floyd while being arrested by the Minneapolis Police,[1]police brutality,[1]lack of police accountability,[1]inequality and racism[2]
MethodsProtests, demonstrations, riots, looting, civil disobedience, civil resistance, strike action
StatusOngoing
Concessions
given
United StatesExecutive branch of federal government 
Local law enforcement

Counterprotesters:
Protesters:
Others:
Death(s)at least 25[6]
Injuries400+ law enforcement officials and an unknown number of civilians[7]
ArrestedOver 14,000 (as of June 27, 2020)[5]
Damage$1–2 billion insured damages (as of September 17, 2020)[8]

]

This bears repeating:

Casualties
Death(s)at least 25[6]
Injuries400+ law enforcement officials and an unknown number of civilians[7]
ArrestedOver 14,000 (as of June 27, 2020)[5]
Damage$1–2 billion insured damages (as of September 17, 2020)[8]

Contents

We are now using one sided politics to create National Holidays to celebrate what the other side remembers as the exact, polar opposite as the side creating it.

National Holiday should mean NATIONAL HOLIDAY!

Far left Holiday is not a NATIONAL HOLIDAY

BLM Holiday is not a NATIONAL HOLIDAY

By metmike - June 16, 2022, 7:58 p.m.
Like Reply

In case we have somebody wandering into this site that doesn't know me.

I've been a strong supporter of civil rights my entire life (since growing up in Detroit) and use more MLK quotes here than any other person, considering him be, possibly  the greatest American that ever lived.

NATIONAL HOLIDAYS inspire unity and like minded thinking by everybody with politics set aside.

This is the complete opposite of that.

By metmike - June 16, 2022, 8:48 p.m.
Like Reply

I would have been more open to making Juneteenth a National Holiday Before George Floyd was murdered and especially if it was absolutely not tied to any blacks killed by white cops before George Floyd.

Then, it could have had a better chance to be a NATIONAL HOLIDAY to signify the importance of minorities and all others in society to have equal rights.

However, even in that case, MLK is already recognized with a truly deserving national holiday with that idea in mind and the leader of civil rights and February is black history month.

Juneteenth is more of a black history type topic NOT a National holiday.

We also have always honored Abraham Lincoln for having the most important role of anybody in history in passing the Emancipation Proclamation and ending slavery in what now has merged into Presidents Day. 

Lincoln's Greatest Accomplishments

https://biography.yourdictionary.com/articles/abraham-lincolns-accomplishments.html

Re: Juneteenth
0 likes
By bear - June 20, 2022, 7:35 p.m.
Like Reply

just a thought...

employers are not too thrilled about having yet one more day that they must pay a worker for not doing anything productive.  

regardless of whether any of you think it should be a holiday or not.  

By metmike - June 20, 2022, 7:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks bear!

Was wondering if anybody would comment.

By 12345 - June 20, 2022, 9 p.m.
Like Reply

LOL  DID YA MISS YER USPS MAIL DELIVERY, TODAY?  OR, TRY TO GET IN THE BANK?

IF FOLKS WOULD JUST OBEY THE LAW..............  THEIR FAMILIES WOULDN'T GET RICH OFF A CORPSE.

'NUFF SAID, BY ME!.  LOL

By metmike - June 21, 2022, 3:37 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Jean!