I've been agreeing with the SCOTUS a lot lately.
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - July 4, 2022, 7:51 a.m.

When I read the headline accusing the SCOTUS of once again shredding constitutional rights, I figured this would be another one of the poorly informed liberal hit pieces that I enjoy so much.  And while "Shredding" is more than a stretch,  I am not comfortable with this ruling.

This guy was arrested and not read his Miranda rights.  The court ruled that any confession obtained without Miranda can be supressed in court, as it should.   But they ruled the arrestee cannot sue for damages.   

I am not at all sure about that.  I Still would not call it "shredding" constitutional rights as the Miranda protection  is fully intact.  But with all the duress associated with an arrest and trial that was based on faulty procedure/evidence,  I think the arrestee might deserve his day in court. 

EDITORIAL: Here's another crucial constitutional right that the Supreme Court is shredding (msn.com)

Comments
By mcfarm - July 4, 2022, 10:19 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Tim. Important on this July 4th. Many don't realize our freedom is not on auto mode. Every generation must ensure our freedom. Big gov erodes it little by little and some say well we could live with a little erosion......sure what does a little erosion of freedom lead to?

By TimNew - July 4, 2022, 12:16 p.m.
Like Reply

I often say, and truly believe that when this country was founded,  we rebelled against far less government intrusion than we have today, and roughly half our population seems to like it.  Much like the frog in the pot of water that's slowly heated to a boil,   he doesn't notice.

We have roughly half the country that celibrates freedom, and another half that celebrates freedom from responsibility.  What they don't seem to notice is that "freedom from responsibilty" is the exact opposite of "freedom".

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson

So, to those of you who agree with Mr Jefferson, Happy Independence Day.  We may not be celebrating it for much longer.