Illusions
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by cutworm - Aug. 13, 2022, 1:48 a.m.

The Illusion Only Some People Can See - YouTube

"A good metaphor for life we feel as though we can directly perceive external reality like a person looking into an Ames room but the truth is there is an infinite number of geometries that look the same. these days there are a lot of people basically getting the same information and coming to very different conclusions about the state of reality. So i think in that context something as simple as a rotating window can fool our brains in a fairly spectacular way."

food for thought

Comments
Re: Illusions
0 likes
By joj - Aug. 13, 2022, 7:14 a.m.
Like Reply

I love the post cutworm!

I was able to see the rotation, ignoring the illusion of oscillation, but only because the narrator alerted me to the illusion.  When the ruler was inserted it blew my mind.  Great stuff.

And to your point about how we are all often getting the same information and large swaths of us are coming to different conclusions (realities?), it is indeed good food for thought.  I will try, in my personal life, to see through the illusions and get to the reality.

It's a little bit about bias I suppose but not completely.  It is also about how different brains work differently.  

ADHD as a diagnosis didn't exist when I was a child.  And I'm glad about it.  I wasn't forced to take drugs.  People thought I was day dreaming and "lacking focus".  In reality, I was actually hyperfocused.   This served me well when trading in the pit (back in day) and reaction time of 1/4 of a second was the difference between making a nice  living and going broke.

The human species probably evolved in a way such that some percentage of the tribe had such sensitivities that they could perceive danger approaching and were thus properly wired for keeping guard.

I hope this thread gets many contributions.  

Re: Illusions
0 likes
By 7475 - Aug. 13, 2022, 10:44 a.m.
Like Reply

Oh crap

I thought maybe I was getting a handle on life - now I'm not sure about anything.

Thanks a million cutworm

JOhn

By metmike - Aug. 14, 2022, 7:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Wonderful link cutworm and comments by others.