Threat to democracy definition
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Nov. 7, 2022, 5:44 p.m.

Definition of threats to democracy before the 2022 election

Democrats: If you vote for certain types of people from the other party that they hate.

Republicans: If you vote for certain types of people from the other party that they hate. 

Many republicans don't accept President Biden as the legit president but somehow, democrats have been running the show the past 2 years BECAUSE democrats won the elections and the democracy thrived, with the Insurrection attempt failing miserably.

Many democrats didn't accept President Trump as the legit president and Muellers 2.5 year attempt to destroy/discredit him did damage but republicans still ruled for 4 years because the democracy thrived, despite attempts to impeach Trump. 

Democrats claiming that we're going to lose our democracy because of republicans seem to forget that it was THEM that tried to overturn the results of our democracy and the 2016 presidential election........  with failed impeachment attempts.

Comments
By joj - Nov. 8, 2022, 5:52 a.m.
Like Reply

I can't believe you are equating a failed impeachment process (legal) with a failed violent insurrection (illegal).

By 7475 - Nov. 8, 2022, 8:51 a.m.
Like Reply

joj ,

I won't waste band width arguing this point but I'll state my opinion.

The insurrection was illegal but the impeachment of Trump efforts extended WAY into abuse of the legal system

zone. It was done and allowed for political gain and all that goes with that.

Please don't tell me legal abuse doesn't happen - I've personally experienced such more than once.

Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not picking a fight - just stating some real life experiences - and  ,yes , they are my biased experiences.

John

By metmike - Nov. 8, 2022, 8:54 a.m.
Like Reply

joj,

I'm not trying to  equate the 2.  I  apologize for not being more clear, totally my fault.

The Insurrection on January 6th was an extremely illegal attempt to overturn the results of an election after miserably failing to overturn the results of a presidential election, using hundreds of legal challenges, legal recounts, legal investigations and accusations of fraud.

Outside of that 1 day, you have Trump abusing his power and  using his mind control of tens of millions of republicans to rile them to the point of causing the Insurrection on January 6th. 

During the impeachments, you had Congress trying to overturn the election of 2016 by means of an entirely legal process. During the more vicious and absurd 2019 impeachment, you had Adam Schiff, for instance using "parody" to abuse his power to make up stuff to generate support to accomplish his objective. 

Take out the Insurrection in my comparison because I'm NOT comparing it with anything comparable.

The democrats are not claiming that if MAGA republicans win, we'll have a bunch of Insurrections. Fact is, if they LOSE, then that logic would apply, not if they win.

So using the threat to democracy scare based on the Insurrection attempt by republicans is counter intuitive. It's only if they lose that this mentality would kick in and we all know that the democracy thrived and upheld that historical test on January 6th, which REASSURES us that that our democracy is extremely strong.

And in fact, taught us some lessons to make it even stronger in the future.

It's true that this caused people to NOT trust election integrity but this is where it makes us even stronger, just like 9-11 made it safer to fly after that.

After 9-11, there were extreme measures put in place to make another terrorist event like that almost impossible. The dangerous time to fly was BEFORE 9-11.  And 9-11 was an extremely successful terrorist event.

January 6th was an extremely UNsuccessful attempt to accomplish something. It completely BACKfired on those being held accountable because our democracy held strong. Since then, everybody not living in a cave knows the concerns about election integrity and the amount of scrutiny and security is off the charts compared to previous elections. This is the exact recipe for NOT being able to accomplish election fraud.

So this suggestion that January 6th means that if we give people that think that way control, it means they will be able to break our democracy doesn't hold water.

The evidence shows otherwise. It's just a false negative/rhetoric to scare voters to not vote for them. 

There are other reasons to not vote for them for sure but the "losing our democracy"  one is hogwash based on realities. 

By metmike - Nov. 8, 2022, 9:15 a.m.
Like Reply

I realize that the position is more like this one, which is a bit different than the one I described:

Mehdi Hasan: How Republicans could return Donald Trump to the White House even if he loses in 2024

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mehdi-hasan-how-republicans-could-return-donald-trump-to-the-white-house-even-if-he-loses-in-2024/ar-AA13PQua?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=0aa8fc1fafd3434c9b22f7b4b260bf8c&rc=1

Five US States Will Decide If the 2024 Election Can Be Stolen

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/us-election-risk-index/about/

Politicians who dispute the outcome of the 2020 presidential election are on the ballot this year for offices that could determine how the 2024 election is decided in swing states—regardless of what voters intend.  

++++++++++++++++++++++++

So we are supposed to believe that them adopting the election steal mentality in 2022(most of them know otherwise but take that position to keep Trump/MAGA support) , means that they will hijack the democracy that worked extremely well in 2020/21 to prevent that from happening,  when they had control  then but next time, they will be successful.

And that all the things related to election interference that failed  miserably ..........will be successful next time because they will have control.

And the majority of  Americans and the media and the democrats in office that would be vehemently opposed to anything resembling this and be very capable of providing the powerful evidence and legal channels to stop it cold....... will be powerless to do anything.

Not buying it for a brainwashed second.