Grains....long term short?
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by Jim_M - Nov. 16, 2022, 10:37 a.m.

I was watching some program on YouTube, I think it was Autoline, and they were talking about how EV sales are going better than expected and some manufacturers have increased their sales projections significantly over the next couple years.

As we look at beans, corn and sugar as alternative sources of fuel, there is no way that the move to EV's won't have an effect on the need for those fuels.  

At least as I see it.  

in the next 5-10-15 years could we see beans back at $5-$6 and corn back to the $2-$3 range?  

Comments
By Jim_M - Nov. 16, 2022, 10:39 a.m.
Like Reply

AND!  The looming decline in China's population over the next 20-30 years.  

By joj - Nov. 17, 2022, 6:36 a.m.
Like Reply

Some interesting points Jim.  Thanks.

Just to echo bear, the history of the world is that countries (democratic or otherwise) always debase their currencies (inflate).  So it's hard for me to see beans/corn back at low prices in the long term, although I believe markets can do anything.

Also, didn't China change its one child policy to help out their lopsided demographic problem?

By Jim_M - Nov. 17, 2022, 7:39 a.m.
Like Reply

Yes,  China no longer has a one child policy.  But now they have something like 80 million more men than women.  And as they have a boomer population aging, their worker to retiree ration will be 1 to 1.  
Last year their population only grew by less than 500k.  In a country with what, 1.5 billion people, that is a paltry number.  

China is also becoming a more wealthy nation and in many countries that has meant lower birth rates.
We live in interesting times.