YA THINK THE MAIL IS SLOW & EXPENSIVE?
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by 12345 - Feb. 28, 2023, 7:30 p.m.

WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR ~IT'LL GET EVEN BETTER!  LOL

Post Office Buys 9,250 Electric Vans, 14,000 Charge Stations

The U.S. Postal Service is buying 9,250 Ford Motor Co. electric vans and 14,000 charging stations as part of a move to switch its fleet to electric vehicles.

The service also is buying another 9,250 internal combustion vans from Fiat Chrysler in North America, now part of Amsterdam-based Stellantis. The Fiat Chrysler and Ford vehicles together will cost just over $1 billion.

Comments
By madmechanic - Feb. 28, 2023, 7:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Something like this was bound to happen sooner or later. The Grumman LLV has been the go-to vehicle for the postal service since 1987 and they are really showing their age. Grumman stopped producing them in 1994 so the newest ones that are still in service will be 29 years old this year and they get abused daily.

The postal service trains it's drivers to shut off the engine at every stop regardless of how short said stop, at least around my area.

The fact that they are finally updating their fleet was a move that was going to have to happen, it was that or spend a lot of money to overhaul their existing vehicles that probably badly need engine rebuilds or replacements.

What I do like is that they are buying a mixed fleet or electric and ICE powered vehicles. The electric vehicles will be ideal for dense urban and city areas, the areas that the existing vans take the most abuse with constant engine starts and stops. Electric motors don't have any issues with being switched off and on constantly.

The fact they are buying just as many ICE powered vans shows that they recognize electric vehicles are not ready for service routes in rural/farm areas where postal stops might be miles away from each other. It also shows that the USPS is using their brains and NOT just toeing some eco-climate warrior line by trying to go full electric.

The cost of shipping goes up regularly no matter who the carrier is: USPS, UPS< FedEx, DHL, etc. Mostly this comes down to pure economics of inflation and cost of resources to deliver (IE gasoline/diesel/natural gas to power the delivery fleet).

By 12345 - Feb. 28, 2023, 8:11 p.m.
Like Reply

LIVING IN THE COUNTRYSIDE FOR 50+ YEARS, I DON'T KNOW THE USPS ROUTES, BUT... DO YOU KNOW IF LIKE UPS, THEY RARELY MAKE LEFT HAND TURNS?

Why UPS Trucks Almost Never Turn Left

LOL NOTHIN' GETS CHEAPER, AS TIME MARCHES ALONG

By metmike - Feb. 28, 2023, 8:32 p.m.
Like Reply

More demand on a grid in California that can't handle the demand it has right now.

California tells electric car owners NOT to charge vehicles. Energy crisis in California because of unreliable, fake green/anti environmental energy! September 2022 https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/88534/ 

U.S. Postal Service to transform delivery fleet with 66,000 electric vehicles by 2028

The USPS said Tuesday its investment is expected to reach $9.6 billion, about a third of which comes from the Inflation Reduction Act. The funding will help the Postal Service build what has the potential to be one of the largest electric vehicle fleets in the country, Postmaster General Louis DeJoy said in a statement.

+++++++

I can see the benefits in the city as MM mentioned, especially cutting down on real pollutants from exhaust in the bigger cities, like LA.

However, the fairly tale fake green energy schemes with no viable way to create enough reliable supply that can be stored for the grid to meet demand at all times,  will cause increasingly obvious problems.........at the expense of consumers and business.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/01/12/academics-and-the-grid-part-i-i-dont-think-that-study-means-what-you-think-it-means/

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/01/13/academics-and-the-grid-part-ii-are-they-studying-the-right-things/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=academics-and-the-grid-part-ii-are-they-studying-the-right-things

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/01/16/academics-and-the-grid-part-3-visionaries-and-problem-solvers/

We can’t survive a grid transformation that looked good on paper but in the end turns out to be as disastrous as Kemper and Ivanpah.