Government shut down?
20 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 19, 2023, 10:31 a.m.

With no clear path to avoid a shutdown, House Republicans' internal tensions spew into the public

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/house-republicans-internal-tensions-spew-into-the-public

The government will shut down if Congress doesn’t pass all 12 appropriations bills or a continuing resolution by Sept. 30. And as everything leadership does to try and please the holdouts continues to fail, other members of the conference who want to avoid a shutdown are getting fed up.

“I didn't make up the quote, but I love it. You know, ‘Some people vote against the Bible because there's not enough Jesus in it.’ And I think that's what we see here. Some people can't get to yes,” centrist Rep. Don Bacon(R-NE), who represents a vulnerable district, said about those holding up the continuing resolution.

The fighting began on social media when outgoing Rep. Victoria Spartz (R-IN) took to X, the website previously known as Twitter, to criticize House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) as a "weak Speaker" and express her opposition to the negotiated continuing resolution.

McCarthy responded in kind by taking a jab at her pending retirement at the end of her term.

“Anybody who criticizes you has never worked harder than you. And I mean, if Victoria is concerned about fighting stronger, I wish she would’ve run again and not quit,” McCarthy told reporters. “I mean, I’m not quitting, I’m gonna continue to work for the American public.”

This then prompted Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL), who has led the charge against the continuing resolution, to come to Spartz’s defense, criticizing McCarthy for “attacking a woman.”

“This quote from [Speaker McCarthy] is disgraceful,” Gaetz posted on X. “Rep. Spartz is retiring after honorable service because her family needs her and she values the most important institution in American life. Kevin attacking a woman for putting her family above ambition & power is truly a new low. Kevin would never understand subjugating ambition for anything, or anyone.”

Get ready for an extremely tumultous year+ coming up            

Started by metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 3:04 p.m.   

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic     

Comments
By metmike - Sept. 19, 2023, 2:12 p.m.
Like Reply

House GOP pulls another vote as spending fight rages on

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/19/house-gop-spending-chaos-kevin-mccarthy

By metmike - Sept. 19, 2023, 7:21 p.m.
Like Reply

Five Republicans Join Democrats to Tank GOP Defense Bill

https://www.newsweek.com/five-republicans-join-democrats-funding-bill-fight-1828289

+++++++++++

Think about how insanely divided we are in many realms.

EVERY D voted against this and the only way for stuff to pass is if EVERY R votes for it, even  while EVERY D votes against it.

This is actually REWARDING divisiveness.

The only way for either party to get anything done in many cases is to have everybody from one party that has a majority to unite and defeat everybody from the other party  with a minority and completely shut down the minority party.

I get that's how politics work in 2023 but this all or nothing dynamic, when  half the country does NOT belong to the majority  party means those people's wishes are not being represented. 

It wasn't always this way.

By 12345 - Sept. 19, 2023, 8:11 p.m.
Like Reply

WELLLL, I'VE NEVER LIKED MCCARTHY & WOULD'VE NEVER VOTED FOR HIM.

I SAY... SHUT 'ER DOWN.  LOL

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2023, 9:56 p.m.
Like Reply

Jean,

I'm very strongly for the budget proposed by the far right group but also realize the potential GREATER damage in shutting down with no assurance that shutting down will accomplish what they want it too.

I'm very uncertain about all of this but shutting down has happened 20 times before, so it's certainly not unprecedented and not likely to trigger some sort of collapse.

Almost every mainstream news story that I read is putting the entire blame on Rs,  so I feel strongly that if we go into an extended shutdown, it will damage the opinion of people of  the Rs managing the economy. 

For politicians that do everything to create positive narratives about their party and negatives about the other party, this is a PR disaster for the Rs if we have a government shutdown.

Unfortunately for the R party, some of the same ones with great ideas on fiscal responsibility in this realm, also push the complete bs related to Donald Trump anything.

Trump wants to shut down the government here, which means a great number of R voters will take that position and this will motivate the far right Rs in office to do it because its appealing to their base and falling in line with what Trump tells them. 

A sad dynamic in our world but its the reality. 

Because of it, no matter how good balancing the budget and fiscal responsibility is for our country, this has already been spun into a far right/Trump issue vs everybody else.

Nobody seems to notice that EVERY D is also voting against it and all we would need is a few of them to be less extreme left on the budget.

So we have just a handful of Rs voting against this but its there fault, not the D party with  EVERY SINGLE D voting against it. 

Crazy world!

Hard-right Republicans push closer to a disruptive federal shutdown

https://apnews.com/article/government-shutdown-mccarthy-house-republicans-spending-cuts-deff84c0e2ff7d3bd076b8c38e14cca4

What could happen if the government shuts down                                     

By Clare Foran, CNN 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/21/politics/what-happens-government-shutdown/index.html

++++++++++++++

The Republican Party infighting is driving America toward a government shutdown    

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/20/politics/government-shutdown-house-republicans/index.html

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2023, 10:54 p.m.
Like Reply

House Democrats weigh risky strategy: Whether to save McCarthy

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/20/politics/democrats-mccarthy-speaker-strategy/index.html

+++++++++++++++++++

The current, extraordinarily divisive and dysfunctional dynamics of the politics in the United States is very destructive.

Add to this current discussion, the fact  that, the 2 leading candidates for both parties (leading by very wide margins)  are the 2 worst candidates in American history in my lifetime and probably in history.

1. The Ds are not even being given a choice.  The vast majority of Ds don't want Biden.

2. The Rs belong to a cult of tens of millions that believe the most secure presidential election in history, 2020  was actually  stolen from their guy, the victim and that his dozens of extremely serious REAL crimes (based on every reasonable standard)........is entirely from the DOJ targeting  him as the victim.

3. Biden's crimes as VP (completely denied by Ds just like Trumps worse crimes are denied by Rs) will be getting attention with the impeachment hearings. We MUST do this to apply equal justice and the Ds, MSM and DOJ will NEVER apply equal justice to the Bidens. Only the Rs can do it.

4. Trumps crimes will be getting even more attention and this is much more important than with Biden's crimes. Biden, blatantly abusing his power to bribe foreign countries of tens of millions of dollars and having it covered up by the DOJ is pretty bad but abusing the power of the president to diabolically scheme to overturn the results of the proven, most secure election in history, while inciting an Insurrection attempt and permanently poisoning the minds of 10s of millions of Americans against our countries elections is clearly treason on a scale 100 times greater than any treasonous act in American history.

The fact that these guys are not in prison for what we know they did with extremely high confidence ........ high crimes is bad enough but they are the 2  leading candidates running for 2nd terms as president of the United States.

Hillary looks like a saint, worthy of being canonized by the Pope compared to, especially Trump.

And the oldest president, Ronald Reagan who started to fade late in his 2nd term, concerning some people about his age, on his last day, was much sharper  than Biden on his first day as president , who is rapidly losing his basic functioning skills for a politician. Including  losing his ability to effectively read from a teleprompter. Frequently talking  with speech so slurred that, people like him that get pulled over by cops often get breathalyzed for having speech which suggests drug/alcohol use.

When Biden speaks, instead of hearing clear, convincing messages that give people confidence, which is an absolute requirement for being president, people feel very uncomfortable for him because he's struggling so much to communicate the messages.

My wife, has told me several times that President Biden reminds her of my 98 year old dad. The oldest person that either of us have known personally.

Not just from his speech but from his Alzheimer gate which has predicted his early frontal lobe degenerative progression for several years ...while his doctor absurdly claims its just arthritis of the spine.

Does Alzheimer's Disease Affect Your Ability to Walk?

https://www.verywellhealth.com/does-alzheimers-disease-affect-your-ability-to-walk-98559

Executive Functioning Changes  

Executive functioning includes the ability to plan, prioritize, apply knowledge, and make decisions. A decline in executive functioning is one symptom of Alzheimer's disease.

Researchers have noticed that some people with early dementia show a decline in gait and/or speed of walking when asked to simultaneously perform a task such as tapping a finger and walking or counting backward and walking—abilities that require executive functioning.2

A second study found that poorer performance on the Trail Making Tests A & B, a common test that measures cognitive ability and more specifically executive functioning, was shown to be predictive of a decline in walking and mobility.3

Another study published in Physical Therapy noted that slower walking speed was associated with poorer performances on both the Trail Making Tests and the Stroop test, another cognitive tool that assesses executive function.

Walking Arm Swing Predicts Dementia

https://tinyurl.com/cjmknt9y

+++++++++++++

Note cards and shorter stairs: How Biden's campaign is addressing his age

Aides appear to be making concessions to Biden’s age, hoping to avoid viral moments that would reinforce voters’ worries about his fitness.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/joe-biden-age-re-election-short-stairs-air-force-one-rcna95355

++++++++++++++

The best and only right answer to effectively address his age would be RETIRING!

+++++++++++

There have been dozens of other videos of Biden's getting confused like this. Regardless of the source obviously biased, we can see here and more other times than we can count that Biden is NOT physically or mentally qualified to be our president. 

YouTube·Hindustan Times·Sep 22, 2022

By metmike - Sept. 24, 2023, 7:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Jordan suggests stopgap funding bill that includes forcing Schumer to concede border spending: 'Lets win the policies

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/jordan-stopgap-funding-bill-border-spending

By metmike - Sept. 25, 2023, 2:13 p.m.
Like Reply

McCarthy expresses frustration as GOP holdouts threaten progress ahead of government shutdown

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/mccarthy-expresses-frustration-gop-holdouts-government-shutdown

By metmike - Sept. 29, 2023, 8:19 a.m.
Like Reply

House GOP passes Pentagon funding bill after failed tries

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4229374-house-gop-passes-pentagon-funding-bill-after-failed-tries/

+++++++++++++++

Very odd that the narrative is that it's all the Rs fault for not passing all the bills.

In the image below, I see 0 democrats voting for the bill and 210 voting against it.

And it's not the Ds trying to block the passage of every single bill?

What am I missing?

House narrowly passes three spending bills with days to go before government shutdown

https://nypost.com/2023/09/29/house-passes-three-spending-bills-with-days-to-go-before-government-shutdown/

By 12345 - Oct. 2, 2023, 7:39 a.m.
Like Reply

MIKE... THE WAY I LOOK AT THIS "GOVT. SHUTDOWN" CRAPOLA IS >>>>  UNTIL ENOUGH MEMBERS OF BOTH HOUSE & SENATE "GROW A PAIR", THIS STUPID STOP GAP NONSENSE WILL CONTINUE!!  

I DON'T PLAY GAMES WITH MY BUDGET... NO ONE SHOULD.  YA KNOW IF IT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED, YA KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO GO!

THIS IS LIKE 2 LITTLE KIDS FIGHTIN' OVER A BALL!  STUPID!!  IMO, OF COURSE.

By metmike - Oct. 2, 2023, 8:13 a.m.
Like Reply

I should have posted this yesterday in this thread but forgot it was on the trading forum:

Highlights: Congress passes bill to keep the government open, averting a shutdown

Bipartisan majorities in the House and Senate passed the deal, which will fund the government through Nov. 17 but lacks additional aid for Ukraine

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/live-blog/live-updates-government-shutdown-set-begin-midnight-rcna118172

By metmike - Oct. 2, 2023, 8:23 a.m.
Like Reply

Jean,

I totally get where you are coming from and am strongly for the budget outlined by the ones being blamed the most for what's going on.

However, where we respectfully disagree is about what to do when it comes to actions taken and resulting consequences when 2 parties strongly are opposed to each other and neither one is going to get everything they want.

It's not a matter of standing by a principle, which is what we should do 99% of the time IN OUR PERSONAL LIVES.

Sometimes, there is something much more important and we do much more harm than good by refusing to budge if we represent a realm that impacts all Americans, including  almost half of those that disagree with us. 

With every major action taken, there is a risk/reward ratio.

In this case, the risk is the damage from shutting down and its massive.

The potential rewards, to my objective mind don't match the short term damage. 

+++++++++++++++++

The war in Ukraine,  for an example of how I look at things using that solid, critical thinking principle,  had  a 1 billion times risk to potential reward. 

We took the risk and look where that stands........with 0 rewards which continue to be impossible. Fortunately, there hasn't been a nuclear war but mainly because Russia was able to win the war without using nuclear weapons. 

By WxFollower - Oct. 2, 2023, 8:51 a.m.
Like Reply

12345 said:

“THIS IS LIKE 2 LITTLE KIDS FIGHTIN' OVER A BALL!  STUPID!!  IMO, OF COURSE.”

——————————

Jean,

Imo what’s acting like a little kid is to insist on getting everything one wants. To the contrary, willingness to compromise with others and thus sacrificing some things for the greater good (in this case of getting a budget passed), which is how our country’s govt is supposed to work, is acting like an adult imo.

By 12345 - Oct. 2, 2023, 9:34 a.m.
Like Reply

LARRY ~  THERE ARE KNOWN DEADLINES FOR MAKING DECISIONS ~ THOSE DEADLINES ARE KNOWN WELL IN ADVANCE.  AN ADULT, IMO... WILL ABIDE BY THOSE DEADLINES.

I KINDA DOUBT A BANK WOULD ALLOW ME TO GO PAST THE DEADLINE WHILE I MAKE MY MIND UP ON MAKING A MORTGAGE PAYMENT (IF I HAD ONE) OR NOT... ONCE A YEAR...YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR.

THOSE "LITTLE KIDS" SHOULD BE GIVEN A DEADLINE, BY AN ADULT, ON WHO GETS TO THROW THE BALL FIRST.  THEN, THE ADULT ABIDES BY THAT DEADLINE & TAKES THE BALL.  THOSE "LITTLE KIDS" WOULD SOON KNOW WHAT THE WORD: DEADLINE MEANS.

JUST MY OPINION   

By 12345 - Oct. 2, 2023, 9:44 a.m.
Like Reply

MIKE ~  ZEL BROUGHT OUT HIS PET CROCK-A-DILE & IS SHEDDING IT'S TEARS. WHHHHHAAAAAAAA _ "WE CAN'T DO IT ALONE!"

EXCUSE ME, BUT... THE USA ISN'T THE ONLY ONE FOOTING THE HUGE COST OF THAT NON-WINNABLE "WAR". THE CITIZENS OF DENMARK, FOR AN EXAMPLE, ARE SICK OF THE HELP THEIR GOVT. IS GIVING TO ZEL BABY.

By metmike - Oct. 2, 2023, 9:56 a.m.
Like Reply

Good points, Jean.

So what should the consequences be TO THEM when they are unable to meet a deadline that everybody knew was coming?

Punishing the American people, especially some of the most vulnerable doesn't seem like a just punishment.

How to we hold them accountable?

That seems to be the problem. 

Voting them out of office? That has never worked because the people will just vote for the exact same ones, based on their political affiliation and this just reinforces the political divide.

There is almost nobody that takes a moderate, negotiation mentality view. They are all for THEIR sides agenda and catering to THEIR base, in order to be elected again.

2 opposite sides have a tough time negotiating and meeting deadlines when they won't give up anything. 

And its not just 2 sides anymore. The Rs have 3rd side thats separate from the Ds AND distinct from the other Rs which makes it impossible for the Rs to get stuff thru on just their R majority. 

By 12345 - Oct. 2, 2023, 10:16 a.m.
Like Reply

MIKE ~  "How to we hold them accountable?"  EASY ANSWER... $$$$$$$$$$$$$

1.TAKE BACK 6 MONTHS' PAY FROM EACH ONE OF THEM & PUT IT IN A FUND, CONTROLLED BY "WE THE PEOPLE".

2. THEY GET NO VACATION TIME, FOR A SOLID YEAR!

I COULD MAKE A VERY LONG LIST OF "PUNISHMENTS" FOR NOT DOING THEIR JOBS.

By metmike - Oct. 2, 2023, 10:33 a.m.
Like Reply

Jean,

I would vote for that and bet most people would too!

How about you, Larry?
Others?

The problem is that Congress writes the laws.

A bill to create your new laws would have to be introduced to Congress, 

Then, if it made the cut, voted on and passed.

What are the chances that they would pass a bill with those new laws that  you suggested  to impose ethose very tough penalties on themselves, If they didn’t meet the deadlines for passing a budget?

By 12345 - Oct. 2, 2023, 5:34 p.m.
Like Reply

MIKE ~ IF I COULD CONTACT JIM JORDAN, I WOULD.  SADLY, LATTA IS MY REP.  IMO, HE'S LIKE TEATS ON A BOAR HOG.  I'VE CONTACTED HIM OVER NUMEROUS ISSUES.  HE'S NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED ANY OF THEM!

LOL   I EVEN GOT IN ON A PHONE Q&A WITH HIM.  I LISTENED TO HIM ANSWERING SOFTBALL QUESTIONS.... THE OPERATOR ASKED ME WHAT MY QUESTION WAS ~ NAME & ADDRESS.   FIVE MINUTES LATER... "OOPS! SOMETHING HAS COME UP & MR. LATTA WON'T BE ABLE TO TAKE YOUR QUESTION. THANK YOU FOR WAITING ~ THE Q&A HAS ENDED. GOOD-BYE"

I EVEN WROTE TO SHERROD BROWN (D) & COMPLAINED ABOUT LATTA.  NO RESPONSE!

By metmike - Oct. 2, 2023, 6:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, Jean.

That had to be very frustrating. It shows that you are the type of person that cares enough to contact your representative. I greatly admire you for doing this and being that way. 

Our politicians are NOT serving the people.

Most are self serving and doing/saying things to appeal to their base so they that are elected again

By 12345 - Oct. 2, 2023, 6:57 p.m.
Like Reply

MIKE ~  I'VE ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY.  IF I'VE GOT A "BEEF" WITH SOMEONE, I GO STRAIGHT TO THE BOVINE!

WHEN PEOPLE COMPLAIN TO ME ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE, INCLUDING CONGREE... I ASKED THEM IF THEY'VE CONFRONTED THE ONE THAT HAS CAUSED THEM GRIEF. INVARIABLY, THEY SAY: "NO!" I INVARIABLY SAY: "THEN, I  DON'T WANNA HEAR ABOUT IT ~ THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT, BUT... THERE IS SOMETHING YOU CAN AT LEAST TRY TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT."  LOL  THEN, THEY TRY TO EXPLAIN WHY THEY HAVEN'T.  I CUT 'EM OFF & REPEAT MYSELF: "THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT ~ I DON'T WANNA HEAR ABOUT IT."  LOL  THEY GET ANGERED AT ME!!